Complications After Breast Augmentation?

I’ve noticed lump, having pain, soreness, and discharge on my right nipple after 2 months of breast augmentation.

I had a breast augmentation through areola 2 months ago. Recently, I am having a problem with my right nipple. I noticed that my right nipple is firm compared to the left side. I noticed a small amount of serous discharge after 1 day that it started to bother me and it stopped.

Also I'm having this constant pain especially when touch, soreness and felt lump behind the nipple. I wonder if it's a sign of infection since it was closed to the incision. Please I need your assistance.

Nipple discharge after breast augmentation calls for evaluation

+3

Though nipple disharge two months after breast could be related to a benign breast cyst, nipple discharge calls for evaluation. Start with your plastic surgeon and have a through breast examination. Our recommendation would be a visit to your local breast center after your examination for a diagnostic ultrasound to be sure that there is no serious cause for the discharge.

It seems late for an infection to cause the discharge and pain. Get everything checked out. Better to be careful and safe when breast health is concerned.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast augmentation complications

+3

Traditionally, when a peri-areolar incision is used, the breast tissue is transected when placing the implant submuscularly or subglandularly. Occasionally, this interrupts the ductal system and or cysts which can result in inflammation and or infection.

Some surgeons avoid the use of this incision for this very reason because they believe it can result in bacterial colonization of the implant with development of a biofilm. These surgeons tend to advocate the use of an inframammary fold approach which avoids transecting the breast parenchyma.

There are many other potential causes, including a hematoma, seroma, abscess, lymphocoele, etc.

Having said all that, this is only conjecture. It would be best to seek an examination by your surgeon to ensure that there is no infection or other treatable condition.

Possible infection after breast implants.

+1

Hi.

You should see a plastic surgeon right away. What you describe is not at all normal two months after getting breast implants. You could have infected fluid around your implant.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast discharge

+1

It sounds likeyou need an evaluation by your surgeon at first to figure out what is going on.  You may have one of several different things, but a thorough exam is essential.

See your surgeon

+1

Any problem near the incision especially of a breast implant case warrants early evaluation by your surgeon. Hopefully this is not an implant infection, but this must be looked into.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

See you surgeon right away

+1

The symptoms you describe should be looked at as an infectious process until proven otherwise. I would suggest contacting your surgeon right away for an evaluation. You may have a simple suture issue that can resolved easily. A more serious problem needs to be ruled out and that can only be done with a full evaluation by your surgeon.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD