How Soon After Breast Augmentation Can I Have my Implants Removed?

I just had breast augmentation and cresent lift a week ago (1/22/09) and I hate the results. I was a 38B and received 40CC cohesive gel. I am having severe anxiety and depression and I want them out. I feel like im about to have a nervous break down. Can I have my implants removed this soon by using sedation? They look nice, but I want them out.

Counselling/Anxiety treatment May Help

+3

Seriously, that may sound strange but as you have seen from all the responses on the message board it is way to early to judge how you are going to like the surgical results. Your reaction is not unusual and we all have had patients who panic after surgery expressing exactly your emotions. In almost all cases even the most distraught patients come to appreciate and like the results. If you can seek some emotional support, even anxiety/depression therapy in the short run to get through the healing phase you will be able to make a better decision in another month or so. Good Luck and be patient!!

Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Implants can be removed anytime after surgery

+3

Implants can be removed anytime after surgery, as long as there are no other risk factors. The procedure can also be performed under IV sedation in an accredited facility. The decision to remove implants so soon should be tempered with the fact there are usually some strong emotional issues and possibly chemical changes right after surgery. I would reccommend waiting at least a month and preferably three if you can. It's surprising how many people in your situation end up liking them.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Second thoughts after breast augmentation

+3

Many patients go through second thoughts after breast surgery... they are too big... they are too small... I want them out.

If you can weather the storm, chances are that you will enjoy them for many years and forget about this tough period.

Remember that you wanted them enough to have surgery. That need will still be there if you remove the implants, and you may have great regrets about removing them.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Timing of breast implant removal

+2

Breast implants can be removed at any time following placement but generally should be deferred for at least 3 months. Prior to this you really have to question the motivations for placement. Expect fees to be charged for this.  

Breast implant removal right after placement

+2

As others have posted, you probably have made your decision already. For those who made read your question, I would caution about making abrupt decisions so early in the healing phase. Presumably you had a long discussion with your surgeon about how and why you would have implants with your breast lift. This is a time to fall back on those discussions and to realize that the results immediately after surgery are not the final results. In fact, you may be quite happy in 3 months and be thankful you waited. Is it possible to remove the implants? Of course, but you may be requesting them to be placed back in a few months time after everything has had time to settle.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Removing breast implants is easy, fast, and can be done with local anesthesia.

+2

First of all, do not remove your implants now.  You need to give yourself the time to get psychologically adjusted to them.  You need to discuss your feelings with your surgeon and , by all means, don't make a rash mistake.

If, in the end, you want them removed, it is very simple and safe.

Wait 6 months after breast augmentation before considering implant removal.

+2

Hi.

I am sure you have already taken action. But in general it is best to wait 6 months, whether you have a bad result after breast augmentation, or whether you have just changed your mind.  The breasts can change, and your own mind might change again as you get used to your new breasts.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant removal

+2

While it is possible to have your implants removed ASAP, I would suggest probably giving it some time. It is very common for patients after surgery to second guess their decision to have the surgery done. If you are definitely bothered by it, you may want to speak to someone or even your doctor to discuss your concerns.

Wait awhile before getting your implants removed

+2

Waiting for a little while is your best option. Some counseling to go along with your post- operative care sounds like it would be in order. Technically you can have your implants out at any time. Perhaps this is simply the wrong implant for your. Possibly changing from cohesive gel and/or changing the size of the implant may make you more comfortable. Either of those choices should not be a rash decision, as your decision to remove them should not be as well.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Be patient and wait several months

+2

Although there is no specific time a patient must wait following breast augmentation to have their implants removed, I recommend waiting several months to evaluate your final results. It can take several weeks to months to determine your final result while your swelling resolves and your implants assume their final position.

During this time, patients can experience anxiety and develop feelings of doubt as to whether they should have under gone breast augmentation surgery. Most of these feelings subside as time goes by and patients see their final results. If you still feel the same about your decision after several months, consult with your surgeon to discuss these issues.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon