Tightness and Discomfort After Breast Augmentation

I am 24 days post breast augmentation with mastopexy for the left breast. When I bend down, I still feel pressure or discomfort. Is this normal and will it go away?

Mastopexy and pressure

+3

Bending over after breast surgery increases your blood pressure and will cause throbbing or discomfort for several weeks.  Be patient, this most likely will go away over time.

Discomfort, tightness normal after breast augmentation

+3

Breast implants will press against the pectoralis muscle making your chest feel tight. Especially in healthy athletic patients, it will take time (2-3 months) before these feelings go away.

Discomfort will go away as nerves adapt to the implant

+3

You may be experiencing a dyesthesia from the stretching of the lateral nerves. This is very common and can be positional. When you bend over you are adding stretch to the nerves. This is usually described as a burn or deep ache sensation. Light massage helps but this will go away as the nerves and breast tissue adapt to the implant.

Discomfort and tightness normal after Breast Augmentation

+2

DD,

Have patience. You are only 3 weeks out from your surgery. Discomfort and tightness are common after breast augmentation and mastopexy. Your tissues will relax and soften over the next few months. Good luck!

Tightness and discomfort after augmentation can be normal

+2

I would like to echo what the other doctors have said, and add that if you are pre menopausal, you may feel more discomfort during your menses--especially if you have PMS.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

The tightness will resolve with time

+2

Having some discomfort and tightness with movement after breast augmentation/mastopexy can happen and is normal. For most women, this will resolve over the course of a few weeks.

Discuss with your surgeon what he or she would like you to do over the next few weeks to help the implant settle and the scars soften. I wil usually have my patients begin massaging the breasts as well as the scars at about 2 weeks after the procedure-- I find this not only helps the implants settle and the scars fade, but also reduces the discomfort that some patients have.

Overall, sounds like you're healing normally,

Dr. Salemy

Tightness after breast surgery

+1
This is normal - not to worry. Try squatting down by bending your knees instead of bending at the waist for the first few months or until the discomfort is completely gone.

Managing Swelling & Recovery Following Breast Augmentation

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to complain of tightness of the chest following breast augmentation surgery. This tightness is related to spasm of the chest wall muscles and swelling of the adjacent soft tissue. It’s more common when implants are placed beneath the muscles, but can occur with sub glandular placement as well.

In an effort to minimize these symptoms, a variety of strategies have been utilized. Swelling is managed with compression devices and support bras. Although swelling can be significant in the early post-operative period, it tends to resolve rapidly.

Chest wall tightness can also result from spasm of the chest wall muscles. When this occurs, muscle relaxants and massage are helpful. Massage of the back helps relax the anterior chest wall muscles. These muscles are connected by layers of fibrous tissue and for this reason; massage of the back can help alleviate spasm in the frontal muscles which cover the breast implants.

With time, these symptoms improve and patients are ultimately happy. If you have tightness following breast augmentation, make sure you discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Following Breast Augmentation

+1
Some degree of tightness and discomfort can be expected after breast augmentation.Swelling, tightness and discomfort should be expected to be greater in the patient who had an accompanying procedure such as a mastopexy.Many women will experience varying degrees of tightness and discomfort for several weeks after surgery.These feelings should be improving over time and not getting worse.If your condition is improving from day to day then you should expect a complete recovery.

It is very important that you communicate with your surgeon and let him or her know how
you are doing so that other causes for pain and discomfort can be ruled out.
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Normal for this point in time

+1

Yes this is to be expected and a normal consequence of the healing process. The capsule tends to take 6 weeks to develop and during this time the scar tissue becomers firmer.