How Long After Breast-feeding Can I Get Breast Implants?

I am a 24 mother of two. I stopped breastfeeding my one-year-old child when he was 3 months old (over 9 months ago). My breasts have reached their post-partum normalcy, but I am still able to express very small amounts of milk if I squeeze my breast. How much longer should I wait before I should consider myself a good candidate for breast implants?

Wait at least 3 months after breast feeding before pursuing a breast augmentation

+2

Typically I advise our patients to wait at least three months after breast feeding before proceeding with a breast augmentation procedure. This is to allow time for the breast glandular tissue to settle down from lactation, for the gland to reach its ultimate post partum size, and for the breast tissue to decrease in vascularity.

My very best wishes to you and your baby! I hope this helps.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

We prefer at least 3 months.

+2

It is amazing how long breast milk can hang around after stopping breast feeding. You should be fine to proceed with breast augmentation if you stopped 9 months ago. In general, we prefer a minimum of 3 months from the time the patient last breast fed and more time is preferable.

We do this for 2 reasons: 1. we want the breast to shrink down to its final size after breast feeding before inserting an implant . That way we know excatly what size the breast has settled to after breast feeding and we can choose the correct implant and 2. breast ducts communicate with the mouth of the baby and there are some bacteria that naturally live in those ducts. We want to minimize any chance of infection so waiting at least 3 months is our policy, although we can certainly see why some doctors would require more time.

Good luck!

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

3 months after breast feeding

+1
I typically ask the patients to wait 3 months after breast feeding before they get implants.  The milk you are able to express may place you at a higher risk of infection and capsular contracture.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation after Breast feeding

+1
In my practice I advise my patients to wait at least 6 months after breast feeding before a breast augmentation surgery. This is typically an adequate amount of time to allow the breast tissue and glands to reach the final post partum size/state and allows us to provide more accurate advice regarding your augmentation. 

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

BA following nursing

+1
I recommend waiting until your breasts are back to baseline which takes several months following breast feeding to get a breast augmentation. I would recommend waiting a minimum of 6 months and 1 year is even better

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Implants and Breastfeeding

+1

As most other surgeons have commented, a standard time to wait for breast implants after breastfeeding is about 3 months. In your case, I think the small amount of milk produced should not pose a real problem. However, I recommend you see a board-certified plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation just to be safe.

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

I Recommend Waiting 3 to 6 Months Following Breast-Feeding for Breast Augmentation

+1

Pregnancy and breast-feeding cause significant changes in a woman’s breasts. In response to hormonal changes, the breasts become more vascular and the glandular elements increase in size. This results in the breasts becoming larger and the skin stretching.
When breast-feeding is complete, the glandular elements shrink and as a result, the breasts become smaller and develop sagginess. It may take several months for this process to be completed and for the situation to stabilize. Until this happens, it’s impossible to know what the best option is for any patient.
The presence of milk within the breasts can lead to a higher complication rate. Residual milk can cause collections of milk within the breasts in the post-operative period, which can delay healing and ultimately cause infection.
It’s important to wait three to six months before proceeding with cosmetic breast surgery. At this time, the breasts should have reached their new baseline. At this point, a determination of breast implant size can be easily made.
In addition, it should be easy to determine if a patient needs a breast lift procedure.
When breast augmentation is delayed for a minimum of three to six months following breast-feeding, patients ultimately have lower complication rates and higher satisfaction rates. In your situation, it would be reasonable to proceed with breast augmentation at this time.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1

I advise patients to wait at least 3 months after cessation of breast feeding.  Variants in the breast anatomy and physiology will usually return to normal after that amount of time. The breast size should be back to normal or your new normal at this time.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

+1

A general answer is to wait at least 3-6 months post breast feeding before entertaining the idea of a breast augmentation.  This amount of time is necessary for the breasts to settle down.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast Augmentation after Breast Feeding

+1

Typically I advise my patients to wait at least 3 to 6 months after they stop breastfeeding, this will allow for the breast tissue to settle down from lactating and the breast to reach the final post partum size. Some women can still express a small amount of milk up to 9 months after breast feeding. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate your options further. Best of luck, hope this helped.

Michael J. Schenden, MD
Sterling Heights Plastic Surgeon