Revision Breast Augmentation Recovery

I am seriously considering a second breast augmentation. I had my 1st implants 9 years ago; they were saline and were placed above the muscle. I had a baby 7months ago and I noticed a lot of rippling.

I would like to get them redone and would like to get them replaced with silicone implants under the muscle. Would it be ok to care for my baby after I get them done as I wouldn’t have much help after? Or would I be better to wait until my baby is older?

Revision breast augmentation

+2

Thanks for the question -

Typically revision breast augmentation recovery is quicker than the recovery for the first breast augmentation surgery. In your case changing implant placement may negate some of this as patients may have some muscle spasms and discomfort from implant placement under the muscle.

Typically we advise our patients that they will need about a week to recover. Things like local anesthesia, pain pumps and supportive garments can speed recovery.

It would be best to have help on hand at least for the first three days.

Revision breast augmentation recovery

+1
Thank you for your question! This answer will vary amongst each surgeon, and it is wisest to discuss this with your plastic surgeon. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. However, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week.

After an implant exchange, such as that you are describing, is usually even easier than a primary, or initial, augmentation procedure.  As you will be changing the position of the implant, I would expect a similar course as with primary augmentations.  I would still follow your surgeon's instructions, but a restriction with use of your chest as well as a postoperative garment is often recommended for several weeks. But, I would expect that you would be able to care for your child and such in a short period after your procedure.  Best wishes for an excellent result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Replacing saline with silicone, subglandular to submuscular breast implants.

+1

We generally recommend that you take a week off work and avoid strenuous physical activity for three weeks. Depending on how much your child weighs, you may have to avoid lifting them.  Secondary breast implants is usually an easier recovery, however, this does require cutting of the pectoralis muscle to place the implant under the muscle.

Recovery from revision breast implants usually easier.

+1

Hi.

Recovery from revision breast implants is usually easier and quicker than from your original operation. Unless the breast implants are going from over the muscle to under the muscle, in which case you will be sore for a couple of weeks.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Revision breast augmentation

+1

It sounds like you are on the right track. I would have suggested silicone unders as well.  As for acitivity and specifically heavy lifting, I would avoid that for a few weeks after surgery.  Anything that increases the heart rate or blood pressue can cause bleeding. 

Revision Breast Augmentation and Disability

+1

As you are planning a switch of implant position to "under the muscle," you may have more discomfort than the usual revision breast implant patient. Secondary implant surgery without a change in position like this is usually not a big deal. You might want to arrange to have some help around this time as you have a small child for whom to care. You might not need the help but these kinds of arrangements are a good idea, just in case you do.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Need to give yourself time to heal

+1

This is a common question I get from women who had omplants placed over the muscle and then have lost upper and middle breast coverage due to thinness. All things considered a site change to partially under the muscle with or without a lift procedure can make a nice difference. Any time I place implants under the muscle I ask patients to minimize upper arm and chest lifting greater than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. This allows the tissues to get a good start on healing to work towards the best result. The link below will show a couple of examples. The most important this for you is to find a board-certified plastic surgeon who has done a lot of this type of surgery. Don't hesitate to ask questions and look at their before and after photos. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS