Indecisive About Cup Size

I have had an exam, but still indecisive about what size to choose. I am 5'3, 110 lbs, and currently an A cup. The sizes that I am struggling with are 304cc and 339cc. I would like to be a full B or small C. What do you suggest?

Don't get fixated on the "cup size"

+3

Cup sizing is an inexact science and there are no industry standards for cup sizes in garments. The most important thing for a patient to determine is what "look" they want from the augmentation. The implant should have a base diameter that matches your chest wall diameter behind the breast. Beyond that, the profile of the implant will determine how much fullness you get from the result. The "moderate profile" implants look the most natural, the "moderate plus" profiles have some slight excess upper pole fullness, and the "high profile" implants have the most exaggerated and least natural upper pole fullness. Make sure you know what you want the look to be, and then the best cup size for your body just follows with what bra fits you best.

Determining breast implant size

+2

This really needs to be done in person. Guessing on size without examining you is guessing. Have a discussion with your chosen surgeon and go from there.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Finding the Right Breast Implant Size

+2

Thanks for your question

Size is a big decision. It is very important to put appropriate thought into the size you want before your surgery.

In my San Francisco area practice, when patients are not quite sure about the size I will lend them several different sized implants to try for a week or two. If your plastic surgeon can't (or won't!) do this try bags of rice (you can place different amounts of rice in zip-lock bags, when you find the size you want empty the rice into a measuring cup and communicate the volume to your plastic surgeon).

The important thing here is you really need to try to wear the "trial size" implants as much as possible. This means try them with different clothes, (swimsuits, professional wear, casual wear, formal wear) but it also means while driving, while working out, while sleeping. It isn't a perfect way to see what the implants will be like, but it is pretty close.

The real key is finding a plastic surgeon that will take the time to work with you to find what works for you. Start with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Try them on, See photos, Seek Doctor's advice.

+2

Shae:

Picking the "exact right" implant size is a common concern for our patients. In the end however, patients are really happy with their choices, so remember this is something to look forward to.

Your full B / small C-cup range should be quite proportional for your frame. The 300-340ml range you mention might work fine for you, but we cannot pick a size based on your height, weight and pre-op cup size. I always suggest careful discussion with your plastic surgeon, viewing before & after photos, examination, measurements, and trying on sizers with the advice of doctor and his or her staff. Seeking other surgeon's opinions sometimes helps patients.

It would be great if I could tell you the best size, but I hope I have helped you find your answer eventually.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Breast diameter is critical

+2

The implant diameter is very important in deciding size. Diameter should for the most part resemble the original breast shape. Going beyond this can produce an unnatural result. Cup size beyond that can be estimated, but is often unreliable as different bra companies utilize varied criteria in their cup designations. Consider your cup size desire as a goal and alter implant volume/profile to best approach that.

Michael A. Marschall, MD

BBA

+1

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Cup Size

+1

There a number of factors more important than the size to ensure a beautiful natural looking result. Moreover, cup size is an inexact measurement since different companies have different bra sizes, and companies vary sizing on a regular basis. In person consultation is key. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Definately go larger if you want a B or full C cup after breast augmenation

+1

While cup size varies with manufacturer, when my patients tell me they want a full B or C cup I never go lower than a 350 cc implant in a patient with an A cup breast.

In fact, I usually recommend going 25 cc's larger than you think you want because 90-85 % of my patients tell me they wish they had gone larger after they have had their implants for a year.

Conversly, rarely if ever do patients tell me they want to go smaller after they have had their breast implants for a year.

350cc's almost always gives a full B or small C in a Victoria Secrets bra after a year.

See pictures before and after breast augmentation and transareolar breast augmentation scar.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS