One Size Bigger on One Breast for Addressing Asymmetry?

I'm 2 weeks post-op and the healing process is going great.I started out with my right breast slightly smaller than my left. My PS and I discussed sizes and ended up with 325cc Mentor Silicone moderate profile in both breasts. My only regret is that we didn't go a size up on the right to make both even. Her comment to me before surgery was that I already had a small one, why not keeep them both looking natural. Could I have made them even by going up a size on the right breast? Thanks in advance for your response.

Correcting breast asymmetry with different size implants

+2

Thanks for your question -

Typically as part of breast augmentation asymmetry and techniques to correct it are discussed. Everyone has some degree of uneveness between the two breasts.

Things that can correct this asymmetry during breast augmentation include:

• 1. Different sized implants
  • 2. Different shaped implants
  • 3. Different positioning of the implants
  • 4. Different shaped pockets for the implant

Your surgeon may have used these techniques to try to balance out your asymmetry. At just two weeks post-op it is a little early to determine your final result. You'll be able to see more of what your final result will look like in the next few months.

Breast asymmetry can be corrected with different size breast implants.

+1

Hi.

Silicone breast implants come in 25 cc increments. So that if the difference in size in your natural breasts is less than 25 cc's, your surgeon did the right thing.

Correcting asymmetry

+1

Asymmetry is not always easy to correct, and sometimes trying to accomplish this feat backfires a bit when implants of different shape are placed. Saline implants are a bit easier to adjust in terms of volume discrepancies.

Too early to tell asymmetry after breast implants

+1

At two weeks out, it is very hard to tell if anything you are experiencing is a result of swelling or anatomy. You really should wait for at least 3 months to make a determination. Slight breast asymmetry is best left alone since it is very difficult to make the breasts look very symmetric. We are all born with some degree of asymmetry and that is what makes us all unique. Larger asymmetries should be discussed preoperatively and attempts can be made to address them during the surgical procedure. Having said all of that, wait for a few months and have an honest discussion with your surgeon.

Asymmetry and breast augmentation

+1

Virtually all breasts have some degree of asymmetry more or less. An augmentation can actually magnify those asymmetries especially if they are in nipple position, height or orientation. If the creases under the breasts are asymmetric, the result will magnify these differences if not corrected at surgery. Bony chest wall asymmetries are a problem because that is the platform the implants sit on. Volume differences may be easier to correct if everything else about the breasts is otherwise equal with differential implant volumes. It is easier to do this with saline and adjustable saline implants because the surgeon can be more precise in adding volume to balance out the asymmetry.

In your case, it is too soon to be worried. It will take 3-4 months to know if maybe what you are seing isn't just differential swelling. In addition, the difference may be too small to correct with different sized gel implants. You would just be playing ping pong with the asymmetry. Trust your doctor and stay close to her through the healing process. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com