Asymmetrical Breast Implant Results

I had a breast augmentation 3 months ago, 350cc filled to 400cc (Saline) under the muscle. My right breast was larger to begin with, so my surgeon did liposuction and a Circumareolar Mastopexy on that breast.

As of right now, it is still significantly larger and higher up. Is this normal 3 months later? They are very uneven in a swimsuit and I am getting very worried because summer is coming soon. Help!

You will probably need a revision

+4

GIven the degree of asymmetry, you will probably need to have a revision, and at 3 months out you have a good idea of what your final result will be. I imagine your surgeon would be interested in doing everything he can to achieve the best results possible, so I would touch base with him to get his thoughts as to what can be done and the timing of the procedure. Options will likely include downsizing the tright implant, perhaps with a vertical lift (incision around the areola and one down the breast in a lollipop orientation).

The good news is that, based on this photo, I think you can achieve symmetry and have a nice result with a revision procedure.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Pre-operative Picture?

+3

Without looking at your appearance before surgery, I have a hard time faulting your surgeon. It looks like you had a simple breast augmentation with a minor lift. This does not let the surgeon change much regarding breast shape except with implant volume and that minor lift. Minor lifts change breast shape in a minor way. Some issues cannot be solved with less than a larger lift procedure. Breast lifts do not just "lift." They allow larger changes in breast shape.

Talk with yor surgeon and express your goals. Hopefully togther you can come up with a reasonable plan for a revision that will get you where you want to be at a nominal cost.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Ask your surgeon about a touch up

+3

From the picture, you do look asymmetrical. Technicallly, everyone is to some degree but I am sure your doctor was aiming for a closer match. There are a couple of different approaches, one being reduction and then same size implants, the other is different implant sizes.  There is no single best approach.

Richard Baxter, MD

You are very asymmetrical

+2

I would imagine that your surgeon isn't totally thrilled with your result and would probably be interested in doing more to get to a better outcome.  This could come from reducing the implant size on the left or reducing the breast itself.  I'd suggest going back for an honest discussion.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Time will not fix asymmetrical breast augmentation results

+2

If 3 months have already passed, I would not expect this asymmetry to improve.

There are different options to fix this. It would depend on what your breasts look like before surgery. I would also be curious to know if the same implant and fill volumes were used in each breast.

I would suggest returning to your surgeon at this point and expressing your concerns.

Jeremy Waldman, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

My opinion:

+1

The good news is that each breast looks nice by itself, but you are correct, you have a large degree of asymmetry. I am not exactly sure of all of what was done. For example, was an implant placed in the left?

No matter. One thing I can tell you at 3 months out is that you have a pretty good idea of what the final result will look like. I feel confident (though sad to tell you) that you will require another procedure to correct the assymetry.

From what I can see from the one view, the right breast is larger vertically, transversely, and from front to back. It has more size/volume, and the upper pole is indeed higher than the left. Additionally, the areola is lower, larger, ectopic, and likely to stretch with time.

There are many options available. I am not a fan of the circumareolar lift, as it has limitations. However, the anchor lift has larger scars, but is a more powerful procedure in terms of shaping, and sizing.

You need to chat with your doctor. Decide which side you like best, and come up with a plan to improve symmetry to that side.

I would weigh in and for my 2 cents, I think that you have way more than 50cc's difference so a new implant will likely be in the mix.

I would agree too that your surgeon should want to get a better result. See if he can get a new implant comped by the company to save you $$$

best to you.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

There may be more than 50 cc difference

+1

Hello

I think at 3 months you are seeing your final volumes. The right is clearly larger. I am assuming you like the size of the left breast better, in which case I think you need to have less volume on the right. How much volume is best determined at the time of surgery, but you may actually need a completely new, smaller implant. If your initial implants were the same size, there may not be enough room to remove saline without voiding the manufacturer's warranty for underfilling the implant. So have an honest discussion with your surgeon and be prepared for a smaller implant altogether.

Using a sizer during surgery helps. Actually, serially removing some volume from your present implant during the procedure may serve the same purpose as a sizer. When your surgeon gets to the volume that looks right, then a new implant of that size can be inserted.

Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend a smaller implant in your right breast.

+1

Hi! Actually, your result does not look bad, but the asymmetry clearly bothers you, and it is not going to go away. So you need a touch up. Rather than trying more of a reduction, I would suggest an implant maybe 50 cc's smaller on the right.

Your surgeon can use a disposable implant SIZER in you right breast during surgery to determine exactly which implant will give you good symmetry BEFORE opening a permanent implant. This takes the guess work out, and a sizer only costs $45.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)