If I get a breast augmentation before pregnancy, will they look awful after?

I'm 39 yrs of age, 150lbs, 5'8", 36C cup. Two kids. I'm willing to have 1 more child if I remarry within 1-2yrs. I've been wanting to get my breasts done for quite some time & don't want to wait since I am uncertain about my future. My breasts are Slight saggy & a little deflated and I do have a good amount of breast tissue. They didn't change dramatically even after pregnancy/breastfeeding. I decided that I am going under the muscle & thinking 500cc. Will they look awful after pregnancy?

Best Best to wait until after pregnancy for breast augmentation

+1
Thank you for your question. Pregnancy has dramatic effects on your breasts and one of the most common reasons women seek breast augmentation is because after pregnancy the breast loses volume and can sag.

If you can wait until you're finished having children in the changes in your breast caused by pregnancy can be addressed properly after pregnancy. If you want to have breast augmentation now before pregnancy test be aware that you will likely need some revision after the pregnancy which will require a second operation.

Breast implants and pregnancy

+1
The changes that occur in the breast following breast implants and pregnancy are hard to predict from patient to patient.  If this is a major concern, it may make sense to wait until you are finished childbearing before having the procedure performed.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Lift necessary, augmentation optional

+1
You describe your breasts as slightly saggy and little deflated but you have a good amount of breast tissue. You need a lift more than augmentation and I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast LiftTM. This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without the need for implants. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle and is stable long term if you undergo a third pregnancy. 22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result. Frequent causes of dissatisfaction are over implantation and not performing a simultaneous lift when needed. At size 36 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. 500 cc implants would take you up 2 ½ cup sizes to over a DD.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after BA

+1
Good question.  There is no way to stop the changes of aging or pregnancy on your breasts, but having surgery now will not preclude the ability to have nice looking breasts after your next pregnancy.  Without examining you, it's hard to know if you need a lift plus implants, or implants alone.  Either scenario, you will definitely have a nice looking result for the foreseeable future.  Another pregnancy will certainly create changes in your breast, but if the surgery is well planned now, it should minimize the impact on the longevity of your result.  500cc implants may look good now, but I think that smaller implants generally age better and weather the effects of pregnancy a bit better.

You seemed to have minimal changes with the past couple pregnancies, and could reasonably expect the same for the next pregnancy.  So bottom line, I think you can safely proceed now.  

Kyle Song, MD
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Sagginess after pregnancy

+1
This is hard to predict and I have seen it go both ways with  laxity after a third or fourth pregnancy.  If you decide to go ahead with surgery being conservative with size can help to reduce laxity.  On the other side of the coin you want to be happy with the look once you are done.  I would suggest you go with the size of the implant you like the look of and worry about laxity later if it occurs.  It probably won't look awful but a little lift may be needed.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

+1
It is very difficult to determine what your breasts will look like following a pregnancy or breast-feeding. If you are planning to have children sometime soon, i would definitely recommend waiting until afterwards. However, if you do not plan on having children for awhile, you can enjoy your breast augmentation for a good amount of time and, hopefully, they do change too much after pregnancy. The decision is entirely up to you. I recommmend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible options for you. Good luck!

Prediction of what breast augmentation would look like after pregnancy

+1
Without photos it is difficult to give more specific advice.
Thus I can only answer you in general terms.
It is impossible to predict what your breasts will look like after augmentation and after pregnancy.
There are so many variables that can affect the breasts after pregnancy.
In general:
1)the bigger you are the faster you will drop (sag).
2)add 500cc implants to the size you were during your previous pregnancy can be significant.
3)most likely you will need a breast lift post pregnancy.
4)your desire to have larger breasts NOW compared to MAYBE getting pregnant can only be made by you.

I strongly suggest you make a appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon that has very good reviews. 

Robert A. Hardesty MD, FACS
Riverside Plastic Surgeon

Implants before pregnancy

+1
My advice would be to wait if you have plans to have children in the next 2 years. If your plans are later than that, I think having the implants now would be fine. Some women have significant changes with their breasts during pregnancy and with breast feeding, but others do not. Under the muscle is a good choice in my opinion. 500cc implants sound a bit big if you are trying to avoid issues with pregnancy and breast feeding. A more conservative size might be a better idea.  

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy and breast implants

+1
Thanks for your good question.
I usually tell the patients that if they plan to be pregnant in a short time period, it is best to wait.
However, if you plan to go with small implant under the muscle and have favorable anatomic features, you can have implants safely.
Hope this was helpful,
Dr Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS