Will Breast Augmentation Before Kids Be Affected After Pregnancy?

I am planning on having a breast augmentation before having children. Since the implants will be placed underneath the muscle, will this still be affected after having kids? Having children affects the tissues of the breasts but not necessarily the muscle I would think.

Breast Augmentation before pregnancy?

+3

This is one of the most commonly asked questions in my practice.  In general its hard to determine what changes your breasts would undertake with pregnancy even without implants being placed. This comes down often to genetic factors, weight gain during pregnancy and time that you breast feed.  Placement of implants under the muscle does help reduce the risk of sagging over time in my opinion.  I would not let this prevent you from having your surgery. I do recommend you stay within a reasonable implant size, have silicone gel implants placed under the muscle, limit your weight gain during pregnancy and limit your time breastfeeding. I hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Pregnancy

+2

Unfortunately, our bodies change as we age, usually not for the better either!  Of course, that is what keeps plastic surgeons in business.  Our bodies, and especially our skin are not static, they are dynamic.  That means they change with time.  How our bodies change depends on our genetics and environmental influences (just look in the mirror, do you see your mother or grandmother?)  Environmental influences would include sun exposure, smoking, weight gain, weight loss and yes, pregnancy.

Well, breasts change also, they can sag, shrink or even increase in size as you age.  Breasts will change significantly even if you don't become pregnant.  But, if you do become pregnant, you had better get out your magic 8 ball to help  predict what your breasts will look like after your pregnancy.  There is absolutely no way to predict what your breasts will do, so I tell my patients not to worry about it.  If you want your breasts enhanced now, go for it.  When and if they change and you are not happy with the change, then we will fix that too!!

There are some risks with breast implant surgery that you should be aware of, the incidence is low, but they may still occur:

• Numbness of the skin, especially around the incision site
  • Numbness of the nipple/areola
  • Difficulty with breast feeding

Choose wisely.  In countless studies performed on women who have undergone breast implant surgery, the satisfaction rate is 98%, incredibly high for any operation.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implants and pregnancy

+2

While the implants themselves may not be affected by pregnancy (although some paitents notice a increase in firmness during pregnancy), the end result of your breasts in terms of size and shape is unpredictable. As I tell my patients, all bets are off. Breasts can enlarge and stay large, or shrink. They can sag and become empty or sag and be much fuller. You have to decide how much pleasure or advantage having implants will give you for the time you have them before getting pregnant.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Will breast augmentation before kids be affected after pregnancy?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. This is an excellent question, and one very common for those seeking rejuvenation of the appearance of her breasts, especially after pregnancy. Your complaints are likely due to post-pregnancy changes of your breasts as they likely enlarged and stretched during and immediately after your pregnancy as they became engorged with milk for lactation. Now, they have a typical "deflated" appearance as they have settled but have lost much of the enlargement during your pregnancy. Options to ameliorate your complaints would include implant placement, breast lift, fat grafting, or a combination of these modalities. The implants should not interfere with your ability to breastfeed, if you can now.  A consultation with a plastic surgeon may help you decide which procedure(s) may be the best option for you.

It may be wise to wait until after you have completed child bearing, as similar changes will occur after each pregnancy. Also, it is not uncommon to have different sizes of breasts, but I would recommend evaluation if there is a sudden change in one side from another, a mass is felt to account for the size difference, any changes in skin or nipple appearance, or drainage/bleeding from the nipple. Changes can certainly continue after future pregnancies.  Hope that these answers help!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Pregnancy and its affects on breast tissue with or without breast augmentation

+1

Unfortunately our breasts are effected by weight changes, hormone changes and aging. When you pick a breast implant you are trying to find the size that will look best on your body. This involves evaluationg the skin elasticity, breast tissue quantity and quality and the distribution of the breast tissue. Unfortunately, pregnancy and lactation usually changes all of these. The concern is the breast implant you may choose before pregnancy may not be the size and shape that you will need after.

Laurie Casas, MD

Timing of breast implants with regards to pregnancy

+1

It ultimately depends on your short term and long term goals.  There are advantages and disadvantages regarding the timing.  Factors like your current breast shape and amount of drooping, the decision to breast feed, having pregnancy sooner vs. later, the degree of augmentation, and others.

The only way to determine this is to speak to a board-certified plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy effects on the breasts can be unpredictable.

+1

Although the muscle is not affected from pregnancy, the size and shape of the breast tissue is. This process is unpredictable in its final outcome. That being said, if you have implants prior to pregnancy, you may wish to have a revision of the breasts after you are done breastfeeding if you are unhappy with the appearance.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Aug pre pregnancy

+1

Pregnancy will affect the shape of your breasts.It depends on how big your breasts become after pregnancy whether you nurse and how many stretch marks you develop.The implants won't shrink but most women lose breast volume and the skin envelope sags more.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and pregnancy

+1

You are correct that the pregnancy will not effect the muscle and the relationship between the muscle and the implants, however the overlying breast tissue will change with pregnancy, and since you have not had children before it is impossible to predict what that change may be. What is certain is that if you need to have a lift after your pregnancy, the implants will not alter that. In addition to implant will survive the pregnancy and breast-feeding well and some patients actually like the look of their breasts more after pregnancy. If you need a lift after having children you can usually keep the implants in place and lift the breast around the implants. Many patients have breast augmentation prior to childbirth and are perfectly happy after they have children. Good luck.

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Breasts will change after pregnancy - with or without implants

+1

It should be no surprise that your breasts will change during and after pregnancy.  Having implants behind the breast tissue or behind the muscle does stop the breast tissue itself from changing size.  This will affect the overall shape and look of your breasts and effects each woman differently.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon