Do I Need to Have my Breast Augmentation Before my Areola Reduction or Viceversa?

Thank you.

Breast augmentation and areola reduction

+1

If your areola are large to begin with,. certainly an areola reduction can be done at the same time.  There are many patients that I do this for especialy when they need a small lift.

A definite maybe

+1

Areolar reduction may or may not be related to the breast augmentation surgery you are interested in having done.  Certainly, if you are seeking an augmentation and a areolar reduction at the same time, the augmentation should be performed through an incision around your areola if at all possible.  Areolar reduction could then be done at the same time unless the implant is so large that it will stretch out the skin around your areola.  It will depend on how large a breast your have, how large an areola you have, how large an implant you want and how much elasticity you have in your skin.  You simply need a consultation with a plastic surgeon.  Good luck!!

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Can I have a breast augmentation and areola reduction?

+1

If your breasts are not significantly saggy, you can have a breast augmentation at the same time as an areola reduction. You will have a scar around your areola which is easily disguised by the color change between your skin and areola. If you have a significant size change during your augmentation, this can expand and stretch your areolas. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Areola Reduction

+1

Depending upon size of the implant you choose and the amount your areolas need to be reduced it very well may be possible to do both procedures at once.  Best of luck...RAS 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Breast Augmentation and Areola Reduction

+1

It would really depend on a physical examination and what your final goals are.  Sometimes the two procedures need to be performed separately and sometimes they can be done at the same time.  I ask to see photos of the "goals" you wish to achieve and then after examining you, I would discuss this in more detail.

Areolar reduction

+1

I agree that there is not enough imformation for a really accurate answer. Breast augmentation and areol reduction can be done at the same time usually. But if done separately, I would do the augmentation first.

William H. Gorman, MD

Timing in breast augmentation

+1

The size and position of the areola is critical in assessing breast aesthetics.  In general, I recommend staging this procedure for the following reason.  A breast augmentation will put pressure on the skin and areola initially until the skin stretches to accommodate the new implant.  This stretching can cause the areola to stretch making any change temporary.  It is best to wait about six months in my opinion.  

John Burns, MD

Breast implants and areola size

+1

If your areola size is wider than you would like, then reducing it is a common part of breast augmentation surgery.  Some things to keep in mind are:

1. You will have a circular shaped scar around the areola, that should heal well but can be visible
  2. When any type of skin lift is performed with implant surgery, the chances of having some asymmetry or touch up surgeries is higher.

Dr. Suzman

Michael Suzman, MD

+1

Combining breast augmentation and areola reduction is a fairly commmon procedure.  The breast augmentation can be done through a incision around your areola and then your areola can be reduced or they can be performed through separate incisions.  It is important to remember that an augmentation will place pressure on the areola and an areola reduction will place tension on the surrounding tissue.  Therefore, large implant augmentations and large areola reductions will be producing opposing forces.  This can result in the areola enlarging, sometimes back to its regular size.  When performing these two procedures together I routinely use a gortex suture in a "spoke and wheel" type fashion to lock the areola size so that the scar does not spread and the areola does not enlarge.  Talk with your plastic surgeon about this.  

Dr. Remus Repta,

Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ 

Remus Repta, MD

+1

Very hard to advise but please post photos so we can at least give you an idea of the choices you have.