Breast Augmentation Asymmetry After 6 Weeks. Will It Get Better Or Will I Need Surgery to Correct It?

I had silicone implants place under the muscle 6 weeks ago. I had 325cc on both breast. My breast are still swollen, I know, but my right breast is bigger and lower than my left. Will my breast stay like this? Because right now the difference is way noticeable. I am scared that I might need another surgery to correct this. In my pre-op visits my surgeon did tell me that my right breast was bigger than my left but I never though it was gonna be this noticeable after surgery.

Major Breast Asymetry After Augmentation Requires Diagnosis of Cause and Treatment

+3

Thank you for your important question. The asymmetry in your photo is much larger than that explained by previous breast asymmetry before implants.

My concern is that you may have a hematoma (collection of blood) or that a larger implant was used on the larger size. This is not normal.

You need to see your surgeon and if no explanation then a second opinion. An Ultrasound would show a hematoma or an MRI may show as significant difference in Implant size.

This is not normal-seek an explanation

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Deffinately am worried, looks like a hematoma to me. I would want you to be seen in ER as soon as possible 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Significant asymmetries require surgical revision

+1

Minor asymmetries are common following breast augmentation. However, there is nothing minor about the asymmetry shown in your photo. You likely have either a hematoma or seroma causing this. Unfortunately, six weeks after surgery is a very bad time to re-operatie on a breast unless it is absolutely necessary. You will likely need a revision, but will need to wait for the scar tissue to mature and soften.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Breast assymmetry

+1

Although some breast assymetry is always present significant assymetry can and should be addressed.  There are a number of possibilities causing your left breast to be larger including:

1) Hematoma

2) Seroma

3) Bigger implant

4) Bigger breast preoperatively

Your before photos and your examination should help differentiate these and help you and your plastic surgeon plan out the next step.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Significant breast asymmetries present

+1

There are clearly significant differences between the left and right breast in size and position. Without having preoperative photos to assess, it is impossible to provide you with entirely accurate information such as how much of this is related to pre-existing asymmetries and could have different decisions been made for the procedure such as involving different implant sizes. Furthermore, you did not state if the difference in size has increased significantly since surgery. This latter could be related to such issues as the development of a hematoma or seroma (fluid collection).

Regardless, you will need to contact your surgeon and have him/her evaluate you. Some sort of intervention/revision will be needed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

+1

thanks for the posted photos and ALL the expert posters agree on an asymmetry. the cause can not be determined by only the posted photos. You need second opinions and revision surgery Sorry. 

For whatever reason, you do not have an acceptable breast augmentation result.

+1

Hi.

1)  You might have a hematoma in the larger breast..  You need a sonogram to make sure that is not the cause.

2)  Otherwise, I am afraid you should wait another three months and then have a revision.  You need different size implants in each breast and one implant pocket needs to be  brought down.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast asymmetry after augmentation

+1

Based on your pictures you do have significant asymmetry present at this time. However, it is only 6 weeks since your surgery and further changes in the breasts are to be expected over the course of the next few months. If it does turn out that a benign uninfected fluid collection is present around the implant then conservative treatment (allowing the fluid to reabsorb) may be indicated.

Continue close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Breast asymmetry

+1

you do have significant asymmetry.  i agree with alot of the docs above who are all worried about fluid collection. see your surgeon  good luck

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Answer to RealSelf.com Breast asymmetry question

+1

Without seeing your preoperative photographs it is difficult to be absolutely confident, but I am quite concerned that you have a hematoma or seroma on the larger side.  With such a considerable discrepancy at 6 weeks post op, I would not expect you to achieve acceptable symmetry in the future.  Please make an appointment with your surgeon soon to discuss your concerns.  Best of luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon