Breast Augmentation for Asymmetrical Breasts?

I'm considering Breast Augmentation. I'm 5'2" 107lb, 34B, left breast is slight bigger(50-100cc?). So it's a bit saggy than right, left nipple is about 1cm lower than right nipple. What is the best way to fix this asymmetry beside put in different size implant? (I'm thinking about silicon, R 290-330 L350-370 ).

Or if by putting different size of implant can balance them out? Is areola incision the best way to go to take off a bit skin on left breast on top of nipple?

Breast asymmetry options

Thank you for your question. Breast asymmetry is very common, particularly size asymmetry. If you are looking to decrease the asymmetry from one breast to another, then you have several options.
1) You can reduce the larger breast with liposuction
2) You can enlarge the smaller one with fat grafting or an implant
3) You can enlarge both but use different size implants
4) A lift procedure may also be needed to help address differences in shape and nipple position.
I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in more detail.

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Ueven breasts and how to correct breast asymmetry with implant augmentation

A left crescent lift with volume compensation using different sized implants or suction assisted lipectomy (liposuction) of the larger left breast with similar sized implants are reasonable options for correction of the breast asymmetry. I have prepared a series of 4 youtube videos (linked below) discussing the management of breast asymmetry.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Breast augmentation

Without the benefit of photos it is difficult to give meaningful advice.  Having different sized implants to balance out the breasts is only one way of having symmetric appearing breasts.  Breast are less frequently even than one thinks.  There are many factors:  looseness of the overlying skin/breast, location of the nipples, prior pregnancy, age,etc.  

Shahin Javaheri, MD

2100 Webster Street,
San Francisco, CA 94115

Asymmetry and augmentation

Yes, you can correct different sizes by placing implants of differing sizes. We do it all the time. It seems like you're very decided on the size. Hopefully your ABPS board certified plastic surgeon and you have discussed this in detail and he's come to that conclusion with you. Sometimes the asymmetry cases can be really tough because there's always going to se somewhat of a difference, but it can be made lesser. If the patient has that expectation you'll be alright. Sometimes it comes out just perfect!

As far as the lift goes, that's a trickier issue. Some of the periareolar lifts don't really work well at all. There are various techniques in lifting that can reposition the areola and nipple very effectively. Again, in this situation they can be positioned almost perfectly if the proper lift technique is done. Your plastic surgeon will know which lift technique has worked out best in his hands. I suggest you openly discuss your concerns with him prior to having surgery. This may entail a second preoperative visit. They're not uncommon and can be very helpful to clarify expectations.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

9101 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231

Asymmetry and breast implants

If there is significant asymmetry of the height of the nipple areola complexes, then a simple areola lift can be performed to raise the nipple areola complex and match the size to the opposite one.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Implants and lifts for asymmetry

What asymmetry you have cannot be corrected with implants alone.  The one side needs a lift.  Maybe both do and you would have the same scars.  Minor lifts can be done with areolar scars without the vertical scar or one in the crease.   

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Breast Augmentation for asymmetrical breasts

The vast majority of women have Asymmetric breasts. Asymmetry is the rule not the exception. There your situation is rather common.

My preferred incision is periareolar since it allows modification of the areola, visualization of the entire pocket and is re-useable in the future.

I would approach your condition by measuring the base of your breasts and see how much cover they can afford the implants. I would do a breast augmentation bilaterally using sizers to give us the best approximation of the ideal size implants for each side. Once the augmentation stage was over, I would perform a lift on the droopier side as dictated by the implant placed.

Although discussions of cc's (silicon, R 290-330 L350-370), are important conceptually, I would defer all my final decisions BASED on these discussions, to what I see in the OR.

Hope this was helpful.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Breast lift versus breast augmentation

When there is a discrepancy in size between the two breasts, then using different size implants (a larger implant is placed under the smaller breast) can help even out the sizes. However, if there is a discrepancy in the level of the nipple-areolar complex, then you may also need a breast lift at the same time. If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice. Good luck with your procedure.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Breast asymmetry treatment options

Breast asymmetry is extremely common. In fact it's probably the norm rather than exception. Generally we accept is small amount of asymmetry. When the asymmetry is significant then using different implant volume can make the breasts look more evenly matched in size. Based on your description it appears that you have both size (meaning volume) and shape (meaning location of nipple and/or breast tissue) asymmetry. Using breast implant alone may only correct the volume difference but not the shape. You may benefit from a breast lift to correct the nipple position difference.

Generally, if I need to correct nipple/areola position then the circumareolar incision is used to allow for remove of skin, placement of implant, and closure which will result in a circular scar. Your situation is quite common. Often time, a woman may not even realized it until the asymmetry is pointed during your consultation with a plastic surgeon.

I always tell my patient that breasts are like sisters, not twins. You want them to be quite similar but they wouldn't be identical.

Good Luck with your procedure!

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

76 N Hudson Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101

Significant Breast Asymmetry Usually Requires A Lift

So it's hard to say without seeing your photos. Most women have breasts that do not perfectly match, and in many cases it's because there is more skin and sagging on one side versus the other.

In cases where there is a big difference in the length of the folds beneath the breast or in the height of the nipples, a lift may be needed.

Sometimes there is simply more breast tissue on one side versus the other, and if your "skin envelope" is about the same on both sides, different sized implants may provide you with sufficient correction.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

17226 Mercury Drive
Houston, TX 77058