Breast Augmentation While Taking Antibiotics?

I have breast augmentation scheduled in 5 days and started antibiotic for an abcessed tooth yesterday. Can I still go through with the surgery or should I postpone it?

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

Please check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice as it pertains to your case.  If you were a patient in my practice, I would postpone this elective surgery (breast augmentation) until the tooth problem was completely better.  Why would you want to take a chance? 

Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Abscessed Tooth

I would recommend postponing your surgery.  A dental abscess increases your risk of infection following breast augmentation.  Once the dental abscess has resolved you may proceed with your surgery.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Antibiotics

Please contact your Board certified Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible regarding your abscessed tooth. It is important that your surgeon be aware of any and all concerns prior to your surgery. I would hold off on surgery due to the risk of a post-operative complication. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Infection Before Breast Augmentation

Dear Lafayette8335,

You should let your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon know right away about the tooth abscess and see if they would like to postpone the surgery. Remember, your breast augmentation is completely elective and you don't want to do anything to compromise the results.  With a tooth abcess, you might be at increased risk of seeding the implants with bacteria which could lead to an acute infection requiring the implants be removed or you might be at increased risk of developing capsular contracture later on. Of course, without knowing your personal history and examining you only general advice can be given so, again, make sure that your personal surgeon is notified right away so he or she can help you make the right decision.

Timothy W. King, MD, PhD
Madison Plastic Surgeon

Wait till infection is cleared before surgery.

For your safety and best result I recommend holding off your augmentation surgery till your oral infection is fully treated and resolved and even a few weeks after that.  Having an infection in one area of your body can cause problems if surgery is done in a different area, even if the areas are separated by some distance.  The augmentation is an elective surgery and you would like everything to go perfectly smoothly.  Tell your surgeon about the infection and request a later date.  It is in your best interests.

Infection Before Breast Augmentation

As the other doctors have recommended, it is probably a good idea to first and foremost let your PLastic Surgeon aware of your current situation as far as th infection is concerned. Being on anti biotics is good but you want to be at your optimal health before you have surgery. Good Luck!!!

Miguel Delgado, MD

I would recommend postponing your surgery until your infection is completely healed.  The last thing you would want is a complication coming from an infection that might have been averted by waiting.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Postpone your procedure.

Call your surgeons office and let them know about your infection in your tooth.  Infections can cause problems other places in your body and you do not want to risk having breast implant surgery while you have an infection.  In my practice, patients are prescribed antibiotics to prevent infection before and after the surgery. 

Abscessed Tooth and Breast Augmentation

Please do not jeopardize your result by proceding with surgery while on antibiotics.    The key to a great cosmetic result is minimizing your risk and recovery.   Why take a chance of infection?   I recommend you be off antibiotics for 2-3 weeks to minimize your chance of problems.

I wish you a safe and healthyrecovery. 

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast augmentation and infections

It is not a good idea to have any kind of implant placed while you have an infection elsewhere in your body. This is certainly true of a dental abcess. Even though you are taking antibiotics you should not proceed with your surgery. It is best to finish the treatment for your abcess and then reschedule the surgery. Remember that breast augmentation is  an elective procedure, there's nothing urgent about it. Your surgeon will be happy to reschedule your breast augmentation and avoid increasing the risk of infection.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD