Do You Recommend Breast Augmentation Antibiotic For Easy Bruisers?

I will like to know what kind of antibiotic do you prescribe and do you recommend starting it before or after breast augmentation? and What do you usually recommend your patients to take if they bruise easily? THANK YOU

Antibiotics and Breast Augmentation?

+2

We routinely use intravenous antibiotics ( usually a cephalosporin unless an allergy is present)  prior to every breast augmentation procedure. Oral antibiotics are used for several days afterwards as well. On our preoperative visit (usually 3 weeks prior to surgery)  we review a list of medications/herbs  that we ask patients not to use prior to surgery;  these substances may  cause increased risk of bleeding/bruising.

Arnica Montana can be used for patients who have a tendency towards bruising/swelling.  if there is a significant history of abnormal bleeding (as for example with dental work and/or menses)  additional laboratory workup may be necessary prior to surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Antibiotics before breast augmentation

+2

Most plastic surgeons order a single dose of IV antibiotics given about 30 minutes prior to the start of breast augmentation surgery.  Some will give you an additional prescription for 5-7 days after. Each surgeon has his or her own treatment plan

I do not think having a tendency to bruise makes a difference regarding treatment with antibiotics. Make sure you stop aspirin, anti-inflammatories, Vitamin E, and Fish oil prior to surgery as they can make bleeding and bruising worse.

Follow your surgeon's instructions.  Best of Luck.

Antibiotics and breast augmentation

+2

I use an cephalosporin on all patients within an hour of the procedure through the IV. During the surgery I use a triple antibiotic solution to bathe the wounds and the implants. After the surgery the patient takes oral antibiotics for 5 days. If allergic to penicillin I use Cleocin

If someone bruises easily and it is documented I will check their bleeding parameters. Otherwise they should certainly be off any medication that may cause undo bruising(anti inflammatories, vit E) and they are free to start Arnica Montanna.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Medications after breast augmentation

+2

Every surgeon is different.  We do recommend prophylactic antibiotics and usually prescribe Cipro.  However, you should follow your surgeon's instructions.  Also for bruising we recommend starting Arnica Montana and Bromelain prior to surgery and continuing after surgery.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Antibiotics and breast augmentation

+2

At my Austin, Texas area plastic surgery practice I routinely use antibiotics in my breast augmentation patients.  While there are many different opinions on what type and how long an antibiotic should be given I typically do the following:  Ancef given IV the day of surgery at the hospital, followed by 7 days of oral keflex.  These are both types of penicillin.  For easy bruisers I recommend arnica which is a supplement that can be found in pill form at most natural food stores.  This is taken 7 days before and 7 days after.  While it may not stop bruising it can help is some patients.  Each plastic surgeon will probably have their own regimen so I would say to follow whatever instruction your surgeon has given you to get the best result.  Best of luck, Dr. Kerr

Antibiotic

+1

My routine regarding antibiotics and breast augmentation is to give one dose intravenously during surgery with no other antibiotics being necessary.  With regard to bruising and breast augmentation, most patients either bruise minimally or not at all following surgery, even in patients who may bruise easily otherwise.  It is important  to avoid taking aspirin and some other medicine  before surgery (2 weeks in my practice) as these will increase the risk of bleeding and bruising.

Antibiotics for breast augmentation

+1

Practicing in South Jersey in the Philadelphia suburbs, I use IV antibiotics in all my cases but do not use antibiotics orally in the post operative period.  For bleeding I recommend that you stop using herbal agents and vitamins before the surgery.  I do not recommend any thing for this routinely because it is too variable.  Good luck

Dr Vasisht- South Shore Plastic Surgery

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics for breast augmentation

+1

Antibiotics are given via IV to patients during surgery, as well as oral antibiotics after surgery.  Remember that it is important to take all of the antibiotics as prescribed by your physician.  For bruising, I recommend that patients refrain from aspirin, NSAIDS, Vitamin E, Flaxseed Oil, and Fish Oil prior to surgery.  I have also found that many patients benefit from taking arnica supplements to help with bruising after surgery, as well as bromelain to help with swelling.  Good luck.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics

+1

Yes, it's important to give an antibiotic, to reduce the chance of a wound infection.  Most surgeons, myself included, give a single dose of IV antibiotics (e.g. Ancef or Vancomycin), and then some oral antibiotic tablets for the patients to take after surgery for 48-72 hours.

While the antibiotic itself doesn't influence your bruising, if you are an easy bruiser I would:

1)  stay away from aspirin, motril, advil, ibuprofen, vitamin E, fish oil, booze and all the other usual things that make bruising more likely - for about 2 weeks before surgery.

2)  consider having your blood tested to make sure you have a normal coagulation system.

3)  choose a surgeon with a careful, delicate surgical technique

4)  use arnica and bromelain supplements post-op

All the best!

Antibiotics can be usefull in breast augmentation.

+1

I usually use a cephalosporin antibiotic orally the night before and just after the surgery.  A typical one would be Duricef.  The best prevention for bruising is careful surgery with complete control of even tiny bleeding spots.  Past this, Arnica orally before and after the procedure can be helpful.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon