Breast augmentation (and lift) before or after children?

I am 26 years and would like to have a breast augmentation and a lift. My breasts are saggy and not in proportion to the rest of my body. I would like an hourglass figure instead of the pear shape I have. In the next 2-5 years I plan on starting a family with my husband. Is it best to wait until I have finished having children to have a breast augmentation (with a lift)? I don't want to have my breasts redone. I realize there is no clear cut answer to this, but appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Breast surgery before or after children

+1
Thank you for your  question. You may have a divergence of opinions on this. I stress that pregnancy can change  body/breast shape  dramatically. Breast surgery is an investment in time and money, and  since it involves skin  must be considered to be temporary over time. I advise young mothers to have their  children first. There are exceptions, particularly if the woman has  very little to no breast tissue. With a modest breast  augmentation in a healthy woman who is able to limit her weight gain during pregnancy, the breast augemntation patient usually tolerates two pregnancies quite well without serious change in breast shape. Prolonged  nursing and significant weight  gain during the  pregnancy together almost always cause changes in breast size and shape.

Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Good question, even though your breasts will undergo a significant change with pregnancy they will always look better if you had your surgery before the children

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

+1
In general, plastic surgeons recommend waiting until you are done having children and nursing before having a breast augmentation and mastopexy.  This is because during pregnancy and lactation, your breast tissue undergoes a lot of changes.  If you had the augmentation mastopexy first before you got pregnant, you may need a revisional surgery afterwards.  If you are hoping to avoid revisional surgery, I would suggest that you wait until you are dong nursing.  I would encourage you to do this earlier in life rather than later so that you can enjoy the results for longer.  However, I would recommend that you consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

BA and BL Before or After Children?

+1
This is a fantastic question that I get from many of my patients. Whether or not you get a breast augmentation/lift before or after children is dependent upon your age and the quality of your skin. In the case of patients who only wish to have the breast lift and augment one time, I would strongly encourage you to wait until after having children to have the procedure. There are several reasons for this – often times with pregnancy and hormone changes, the breasts can swell and shrink and even change shape. As long as you are in good medical condition and health then it is completely fine to have the procedure before having children. However, in order to truly enjoy  the benefits of your procedure for a longer time, I would encourage you to consider having the procedure after children. Thanks again for this great question and I hope that my advice offers you further guidance.

Brian Coan, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1
It is possible that you will want a breast lift after having children.  If you're planning on having kids soon, then you may want to wait.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast augmentation and lift before or after children

+1
Breast augmentation and lift can be done before or after having children. It is really up to you.  Many women choose implants before having children and most will wait to have a lift if they are in the process of having more children or considering it soon.

Lift before pregnancy

+1
Getting a lift may affect your ability to breast feed, which may be important to you.  In addition, pregnancy and subsequent engorgement of your breasts may change your breast shape.  If a lift is done prior to your pregnancy, you may need another procedure afterwards to lift the breasts again.

Given your young age, I would suggest delaying your lift until you are done with children.  If your breasts could be lifted with a breast augmentation alone, this may not be as much as an issue.  A breast augmentation, especially if done through and armpit incision, likely will not affect your ability to breast feed.  In addition, sometimes a properly placed breast implant can counteract the sagging of the breast enough so that a lift is not needed, even with a subsequent pregnancy.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon