Breast Augmentation and Lift 3 Weeks Ago. Right Side is So Much Bigger?

I had breast augmentation and lift done April 5, 2012 (3 weeks ago) my left breast was a little larger to start ( they were saggy and deflated from childbirth, weight loss etc.) The Dr. used Natrelle silicone implants 500cc for the right and 425cc for the left I am so disappointed because the right is so much bigger, I cry every time Iook in the mirror ...I mentioned this to him and be said it should settle in...I want/expect for the cost that they should look good with swimsuit weather coming.

Breast asymmetry three weeks after surgery.

+1

Thanks for your question

As you can see from this forum you're still very early in the healing process.  So for the moment I would certainly give it time to see how things drop and settle.

Your plastic surgeon thought that you would benefit from a larger implant on the right side.  It would be common at this point for this implant, which is larger to look much tighter and higher, because it will take longer for the skin and tissue on that side to relax.

Breast augmentation with a full lift can take longer to exhibit its final appearance because youa re really having two operations in one.

I know it can be scary and difficult to wait for changes to occur, but you really can't judge the result or make educated adjustments until more time has gone by.

Your plastic surgeon will certainly want to make you happy, I would suggest you share your concerns with your physician.

Best wishes

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of breasts

+1

Asymmetry is quite common before surgery, and placing different size implants is reasonable if the difference is significant.  You should give it time to settle down.

Asymmetry after breast lift and implants is pretty common.

+1

As my colleagues have stated, it is early in your recovery, and your breasts were asymmetric to begin with. If the difference was visible before your surgery as you stated, a 75cc difference in implant size is a very reasonable choice to improve symmetry when everything is settled.

If your surgeon has seen you and ruled out any bleeding or fluid in your implant pocket that could cause even more visible asymmetry, then things really should settle and improve over the next few weeks to as long as several months. Be patient during this process, as this takes even more time than augmentation (implants) alone. There are so many more incisions and planes of healing with a breast lift plus implants that what you are describing is really not unusual.

I would recommend seeing your surgeon to make sure you don't have blood or fluid in your pocket causing the visible differences, however. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Assymmetry after Augmentation and Lift

+1

So important to keep an open line of communication with your plastic surgeon. Be sure you are communicating your concerns clearly. It is not uncommon to have some assymmetry early on that can settle out with time and massage.

Sarah E. Hagarty
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation/Lift

+1

Having patience after surgery can be almost as difficult as the surgery itself.  There is so much anticipation and sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the body must heal at its own rate.  Try to step back and realize that time is usually on your side.  Discuss your concerns with your doctor and listen to his advise.  Most likely things will settle into place and you will be pleased with your result but try, also, to have realistic expectations and remember where you started prior to surgery.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breasts after augmentation

+1

The breast asymmetry may be related to the use of different implants for both sides.  I would recommend waiting until the breasts are fully healed and soft and if the asymmetry persists, have the implants changed. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation/Lifting Surgery?

+1

Given that you are only 3 weeks out of your breast augmentation/lifting procedure, it is much too early to evaluate the end results of surgery. There are many variables involved and you may find that the symmetry of the breasts will continue to improve as months go by.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to rule out complications that may cause breast asymmetry.

During this time, I would suggest that you remain as calm and unemotional as possible; communicate your questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon also in a calm/not accusatory fashion.