Breast Augmentation and Breastfeeding?

5yrs ago, I had a breast aug. to correct assymetry. I had a lift in both breasts and an implant in my right. I am concerned that if I breastfeed it will cause an assymetry again. Will the breast without the implant have more milk, would it sag more? I know it's very unpredictable, I would just like a professional opinion on what may occur if I choose to breastfeed, right now I feel it would be in my best interest to bottlefeed and forgo milk coming in altogether.

It is difficult to predict the changes to the breast after breast feeding.

+1

My recommendation is to decide on your desire to breast feed based on other factors and not how it may change the shape of your breasts.  If you are extremely happy with how your breasts look and don't want to taking any chances  then not breast feeding would be the best route to take.

Breast Augmentation and Breastfeeding?

+1

Plenty of women go through pregnancy and nursing without untoward changes in their breasts that lead them to consult with plastic surgeons. Some do lose volume or have ptosis (sagging).  It is not possible to predict this for an individual woman. I have never seen a study that might answer the primary question you ask, so no one knows. 

This will be a personal decision about the benefits of nursing v. the aesthetic risks. I would add that some of the breast changes wil occur with pregnancy irrespective of nursing. 

Breast Augmentation and Breastfeeding

+1

The changes from breast feeding and pregnancy are unpredictable!  I would base your decision regarding breast feeding on your personal beliefs regarding breast feeding.  Unfortunately aging and babies will have some changes to your breast.  In my experience bottlefeeding may decrease your chances of siginificant breast change however you may have all the breast lift scars on your breast that would be required to tweak your breast tissue back to where you want it.  Best Wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Affects of breast feeding

+1

Pregnancy and breast feeding will affect the shape and size of your breasts.  Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict how they will do so.  This is a strictly personal decision.  You may decide that breast feeding is important and accept the consequences or bottle-feed in an attempt to mitigate the affect on your breasts.  Only you can make this decision.  Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast augmentation breast feeding

+1

If this was your first pregnancy the breast was not 'mature' until this time, and in response the ducts have developed into the glandular breast and the shape may change with or without breast feeding. With very significant breast asymmetry our experience has been that the smaller breast may change quite a bit. If you want to breast feed just go with it and see what happens. That is part of being a parent as well.

During pregnancy your breast will change

+1
Pregnancy causes breast enlargement because of the swelling of the breast milk producing glands and ducts.  Since you have two different breasts (two different milk gland sizes) your breasts will probably change differently causing asymmetry.  After the pregnancy your breasts will once again decrease in size.  Whether they go back to the pre-pregnancy size and shape, however, is very difficult to guess.  At this time, regardless of whether you breast feed or not, you will have to wait and see.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation and Breast Feeding

+1

Breasts change with changes in weight, hormones, pregnancy, breast feeding and aging. It is very unpredictable and each woman's breasts change differently and may even change differently from one pregnancy to the next in the same woman. Whatever decision you make, to breast feed or not, is OK and is the right one for you and your baby. If you do breast feed and your breasts change then there are options that you can discuss with your plastic surgeon. Good luck and enjoy your new baby!

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Breast augmentation and breast feeding

+1

I tell my patients that all bets are off with a pregnancy.  Breast tissue changes with weight gain/loss, pregnancy, periods, etc.  Pregnancy is probably the most traumatic when it comes to changes in the breast.  It is totally unpredictable.  Fortunately, when everything settles out afterwards, there is always something that can be done to correct anything you might not like.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breastfeeding and Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question. How much milk will be produced by the breasts, how much of a size and overall change will occur in the breasts after pregnancy and breastfeeding are all unknowns. It is not possible to predict. It is safe to say that your breasts will change with pregnancy and most likely even more so with breastfeeding, but to what extent your guess is as good as mine. Congratulations on your pregnancy and best wishes.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Breastfeeding after BA

+1

The decision to breastfeed is a very personal one. My guess is that the majority opinion would be that the nutritional and emotional benefits of breastfeeding outweigh any concern about how your breasts may ultimately look. That being said, I am very supportive of women who choose not to breastfeed. it is simply not for everyone, and you should not be made to feel guilty if you choose not to breastfeed. Your breasts will likely develop more changes if you breast feed. It is unpredictable as to whether or not the larger breast will produce more milk, and therefore more later changes, than the other breast, though it is certainly logical to think so. Congrats.

Ronald Schuster, MD