Breast Augmentation and Abdominoplasty Am I a Good Candidate?

I am a 24 year old female at my heaviest weight i was 110kg now down to 63kg. THis was my goal weight so i am happy with this and my height is 168cm. I would like to know if this may make me a good candidate ....I also dont want children. And in regards to recovery do patients put on weight for not being able to excercise for many weeks? I am fully aware of recovery time and dont plan to be doing much for awhile I am just curious as to weight gain I run 6 days a week and worry about the recovery

Ultimate Mommy Makeover

+1

For your height of 168 cm and weight of 63 kg, you are an excellent candidate for abdominoplasty and breast augmentation.  Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs and you may need a breast lift at the same time as the augmentation.  It is possible to lift your breast using only a circumareola incision, avoiding the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions.  The advantage of this technique is that the breast tissue is reshaped and repositioned higher and more medial to increase upper pole fullness and cleavage.  This will allow you to use a smaller implant to achieve the desire projection.  If you do not want any pregnancies, there is a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.  There are recently published articles in Plastic and Reconstructive Journal describing this technique and its physiological advantages.  Also, a simultaneous abdominoplasty will make your breasts appear bigger by making the abdominal wall flatter.  After one month patients are back to normal activities.  You will not gain weight in the post operative period since the mesh produces increased intra-abdominal pressure and satiety is achieved with smaller meal volume.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Timing for tummy tuck

+1

Your best result will be when your weight is stable. You mention that you are happy with your current weight so you could be a candidate at any time.  Some people get a tummy tuck and it inspires them to go to the gym and work out, others wait until they are down to their ideal weight and then get their surgery.  I have seen both philosophies work. 

Different doctors have different protocols for resuming strenuous activity after surgery.  In my practice, I let my tummy tuck patients go back to the gym after three weeks.  I don't think you would gain significant weight from lack of exercise during this short interval.

You also mentioned breast augmentation along with your tummy tuck.  In the 1970's, doctors started doing a procedure where they would do the tummy tuck, undermining the skin and fat up to the level of the ribs.  From there, they would make a short tunnel up behind the breasts and insert a breast implant that way.  There were no scars on the breasts.  This was the basis for the modern Trans-Umbilical Breast Augmentation (TUBA) procedure, a procedure for inserting saline-filled breast implants through a small incision in the belly button. Just thought I would mention that...

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is difficult to tell without personally evaluating you, but people who have especially slack skin in their midsection and abdominal muscle weakness need more than what diet and exercise alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.

Breast augmentation surgery is routinely performed in a surgeon’s office. You will be given a local anesthetic and twilight sedation during the length of the surgery, which is typically one to two hours. You will feel relaxed but not too groggy during recovery. When you wake up, you’ll probably feel as if your breasts are pushed up to your chin. Part of this is imaginary, but as to the part that is real, don’t panic, the swelling will usually go down in about two weeks. It is also possible that you will have some pain postoperatively, but this should get better within a few days.

It is now possible for you to enlarge your breasts without resorting to implants! Specially prepared fat taken from another part of the body, such as the stomach or hips, is placed under the breast tissue to provide increased breast size without the need for artificial implants. The technique is called autologous fat transfers and autologous simply means "your own." And who doesn't have a little fat to spare?

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Judging from your age, height, and weight, I think that you are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck and breast augmentation.  With regards to weight gain from lack of exercise post-op, I usually allow my patients to start running again at 3 weeks post op, so any weight change should be minimal.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Surgery

+1

You sound like a good candidate for both of the procedures. You can resume exercise after 3 weeks with the tummy tuck. Light exercise and walking is recommended by me for all of my patients one day after surgery

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

When to resume exercise after tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+1

It sounds like you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck and breast augmentation after your weight loss, but a big concern is resuming exercise after the surgery. While you should plan on a week of rest after the procedure, you can probably begin increasing your exertion level after that. Most plastic surgeons will advise against heavy exertion and lifting for 6 weeks, you will not need to be completely inactive. Be sure to discuss all this with your own surgeon.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck Candidate after Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss. As you can imagine, it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination or viewing pictures. However, most patients who have had significant weight loss benefit from breast augmentation ( as well as possibly breast lifting)  and tummy tuck surgery.

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies (if planned), is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is able to arrange enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In regards to the recovery period, I have  attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go tummy tuck surgery:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

Augmentation mammoplasty and abdominoplasty after excessive weight loss

+1

For a person who has managed to loose almost one half of her weight and maintained it for a long period of time, she does not need to be concerned to gain most  of that back in 4-6 weeks due to reducing her physical activities. It souds like you can proceed with your planned abdominoplasty and augmentaion without worrying too much about gaining a lot of weight in your immediate post operative period.  

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for breast augmentation and abdominoplasty

+1

If you are at your target weight and have been able to keep it there you are a great candidate for both of these surgeries.  In my opinion, being at your realistic weight (one that you can maintain) will make you happier with your investment in the long run.  If you can't hold it there, your appearance will change when your weight does.

Most patients don't gain much weight when they are in the recovery period.  Most are able to walk reasonably well for recreation at about 3 weeks.  They resume more strenuous activity at 6-12 weeks, depending on their own tolerance.  The younger and more healthy you are, the quicker this is likely to be.

You should be proud of the weight loss--it's quite an accomplishment!  Good luck making your future decisions.  I suspect you will be very happy if and when you decide to proceed with surgery.  Just be sure to select a board certified plastic surgeon, and preferably one that is part of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, since they are likely to have more experience with cosmetic surgery.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Candidate for Breast Augmentation & Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. Based on your information, both procedures seem appropriate (pictures would be helpful). You should be able to go for long walks 2 weeks after surgery and get back to running in 4-6 weeks.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon