Is Breast Augmentation After Reduction Common?

I had a breast reduction surgery 2 weeks ago and my breasts look really small from the front. I didnt want to go too small but im afraid i already did. I feel very flat but i am glad that the sagginess is gone. I didnt want small breasts just not saggy breast.

Aug after reduction

+1

You hear about it a lot but it's typically under different circumstances.  Sounds like you wanted a lift but insurance covered a reduction.  There's a result that you may like even better than if you had a reduction in doing a breast augmentation.  Best of luck!

Overdone breast reduction can be corrected.

+1

Hi.

This situation is rare, but that does not matter.  It can be made better.  I would wait at least four months.  Then, if you think you are too small, a breast augmentation should be simple and should get you to where you want to be.  As you say, the sagging is gone!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Augmentation after Reduction

+1

At two weeks after surgery, it is too early to judge the results. Give it at least 3 months to see how things look.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast implants after reduction

+1

It is very uncommon  to have breast augmentation after breast reduction, becuase most patients undergoing a breast reduction are happy with their new size. If youa re that unjappy, an augmenation can always be performed, but you would have to wait 6 months or so for the tissues to heal.

Breast implants after breast reduction

+1

Implants are very uncommon after breast reduction, especially if you carefully considered what breast reduction was about in the first place. We use implants fairly often during a breast lift procedure to provide upper fill. If you did not want smaller breasts, or need to be smaller because of symptoms, a reduction was not for you.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Augmentation After Breast Reduction Uncommon

+1

It is not common to undergo an augmentation mammoplasty following a breast reduction surgery.  At two weeks it is far too early to see what the final result will be from your reductioin. I would recommend that you wait for several months before having an implant placed if this is your ultimate decision.

John Whitt, MD

Hopefully you haven't been reduced too much in order to obtain insurance coverage!

+1

Yours is an unfortunately all-too-common occurrence! Plastic surgeons are required by insurance guidelines (based on your height and weight) to remove an exact minimum amount of tissue per breast in order to qualify for insurance reimbursement. This is an absolute requirement--one or two grams too little and YOU get the entire hospital, anesthesia and surgeon's bill! (And it can be 10-15 thousand dollars or more!)

So if your breasts were more saggy than large, or if your height and weight required a larger amount of breast tissue be removed than would leave you with proportionate breasts, you have the situation you now observe.

Your present appearance will change as your breasts heal, settle, and soften, but unfortunately they won't get any bigger (they will actually get somewhat smaller as swelling resolves).

This is something that needs discussion PRIOR to surgery; it is your surgeon's job to understand the formula and have a good way to let you know the potential outcome with the amount of tissue removal dictated by insurance. Obviously, this is best done BEFORE too much is removed.

And yes, I have had to place breast implants in patients whose surgeon removed "too much" just to get the reduction "covered." Breast augmentation after excessive reduction is still considered "cosmetic" and insurance doesn't "cover" this problem--so if you end up paying for an operation, you should just pay for the lift you need rather than the re-do after the "covered" reduction you didn't really need. In your case it's too late, but perhaps other prospective patients reading your post will avoid this sad scenario. Best wishes, and thanks for allowing me to educate others.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure;  this tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform.

No, breast augmentation after breast reduction is not commonly done;  however, a small percentage of patients who undergo breast reduction surgery do end up having breast implants placed.

You should be aware that after 2 weeks,  it is much too early to make a determination about the end results of your breast reduction surgery. I would suggest you wait at least 6 months before making this judgment.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.