Breast Augmentation 550cc Implanted Increased 1 Cup Size? Will they Grow as They Settle?

hi, i had a breast augmentation 11 days ago, i was a 38B and i wanted to increase to a 38D or DD, my surgeon implanted 500cc in my left and 550cc in my right (under the muscle), he said he wasnt happy going above 500 as it can cause complications. my sports bra they fitted me into is a C cup, im disapointed as i have only increased by 1 cup size. Can i expect them to still grow as they settle? or will they shrink due to the fluid still inside there? i am 5foot 9, i weigh 16stones thank you

Time to Settle

+2

Cup size is not a reliable measurement as it changes from company to company, and even within the same line on a regular basis. As you are only 11 days out, you will need time to determine whether you are getting the look that you desired.

Breast Cup Size after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your situation demonstrates why discussing cup sizes  when it comes to communicating goals for breast augmentation surgery can be confusing and a source of miscommunication/disappointment.

Generally speaking, 550 mL breast implants should not increase your breast size from a "B" to a "C" cup. It would be much more likely that you have been measured incorrectly or are simply using a different bra style or manufacturer.

Given that your only weeks out from the surgery, I would suggest that you give yourself at least several more months to get used to the breast size physically and psychologically.  Hopefully you will be pleased at that point; make sure you do not base your level of satisfaction on a specific cup size.

Believe it or not, many patients feel that their breasts appear “larger” once breast implants have fully settled.

Implants and cup size

+2

First, cup size and implant size do not always correlate, but I would focus on how they look and not so much what bra cup one fits into.

Don't trust the sports bra

+2

There's just no reasonable way that a 550 implant would only increase you by just one cup size.

What has probably happened is that the C cup sports bra is just very stretchy, and still manages to fit, even though you are really larger. If you were really a 38B, and got 550 cc, I would certainly expect your final size to easily be a D/DD.

Don't panic.  Let the tissues heal and relax.  Then go get sized properly.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast size after 550 ml size implants

+2

I am most surprised that your increass in size was only 1 cup size with 550 implants. It makes me think you were or are wearing the wrong size bras. 550 ml implnasts shoud increase our size at least 2 cup sizes. They will not grow with time unless you gain weight. Thy may even get smaller with the subsiding of the swelling.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation 550cc implanted increased 1 cup size. Will they grow as they settle?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD