Is there true that a 400cc will really look like a 350cc on me for Breast Augmentation?

I am undergoing Breast Augmentation in a couple of weeks and am really confused. When I went for my consultation and try on the different sizes I like 350 cc silicone high profile. My ps told me he will put then 400cc so they will look 350cc.... Right now I am a 32A and I am 5' and 90pounds. I really don't want to be too small but I dont want to be to big to where it could make me look "trashy" and ridiculous. Is there true that a 400cc will really look like a 350cc on me?

400 cc versus 350 cc

+1
If you are uncomfortable with the implant that should be a red flag for you.  That being said it is not that differeent a volume.  Were you able to look at it on a simulator? That helps ease patient's fears....

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Will a 400 cc breast implant look like 350 cc when placed under the muscle

+1
Thank you for your question and I understand your concern.  There is a significant difference in a 400 cc breast implant in terms of base width when compared to 350 cc.  Personally I do not subscribe to the fairy that breast implants will look to sizes smaller when placed under the muscle.   If your concern is looking to be, and since you are petite at 90 pounds, I do not think there is a problem with choosing the size that you're most comfortable with which is 350 cc.  That should give you a nice full result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Implant sizing

+1
good afternoon!

yes, implants placed on thop of the skin in a sports bra tend to have more projection and more perceived volume than when placed- especially under the muscle.  That being said, if you have very little breast tissue, wearing them in a sports bra is more indicative of your final result than on someone who has a large amount of projecting breast tissue preop.

I hoep this helps.

Robert Steely, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1
I usually go with the volume the two of us agree upon. In general, the implants on top of the breast as a demo may appear slightly larger than what one would expect after being placed surgically.

Sizing

+1
Sizing is by no means an exact science, whatever modality is used by a surgeon and patient. My preference is for having patients try on sizers, and I use that info in choosing the implants to use at surgery. For most patients, the implant sitting on top of the breast will look larger than the same implant placed surgically, by about 10 per cent. So if the 350 looks good, and seems appropriate after examination, I would use a 375 or 400 cc implant.

Without photos and measurements, I can't comment at all on the appropriateness of the sizes considered.  They do sound large for a women of 90 pounds.

Thanks for your question, all the best.

BBA

+1
It is possible if the implant is being placed under the muscle.  In order to choose a proper size, you need a thorough sizing session.  If unsure, see your PS again.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Going up in volume

+1
When trying on a sizer it is important to remember that the sizer sits on top of the skin is not influenced by the skin or the muscle. The implant is compressed by the skin and the muscle. So if you like a certain size sizer and it is important for the plastic surgeons recognize that the implant needs to be a little fuller to achieve the same look.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1
Thank you for the question. I do not think that  it is possible to make the types of generalizations that were made during your consultation regarding breast implant selection.
Ultimately, careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be an important part of the preoperative and intraoperative planning process.  
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" or "trashy and ridiculous” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of in bra sizers and computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. I find that the use of temporary intraoperative sizers ( with the patient in the upright position) allows for accurate selection of breast implant size/profile to achieve patient's goals as precisely as possible.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Willy 400 cm³ implant look trashy on me I don't want to be too big?

+1
The difference between 350 and 400 cm³ is approximately one shot glass of volume. That is an ounce and a half. If you're 5 feet tall and weigh 90 pounds I would tend myself to go with a smaller size however very few people come back and say I've made them too large. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you go back and discuss this further with your plastic surgeon before going ahead with surgery.

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon