I Had Breast Augmentation 2 1/2 Months Ago. Why Would I Now Be Getting an Infection?

Immediately following surgery I had a dark purple bruise on my left breast by the vertical incision about the size of a quarter in diameter. It has gradually gone away but it took at least 6-8 weeks and now it is barely visible. Could the bruise have been what caused the infection? What causes bruising after surgery? I have redness on one side of my breast and a hard ridge on the other side of same breast. I also have a low-grade fever. I went to doctor today and he started me on Augmentin.

Infection after breast augmentation

+1
It's rare to have an infection occur so long after surgery but it is possible. Bruises are caused by the trauma related to surgery, since your tissues are cut and there's a bit of pressure when placing the implant. 

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Why would I get an infection 10 weeks post op breast augmentation

+1

It's very rare to get an infection this far out from surgery.  Bruising is not uncommon and is caused by a little bleeding during surgery but would not be the cause of an infection.  It sounds like you are doing a good job keeping up communication with your surgeon.  Continue to do so and be sure to let him/her know if anything changes.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Infection after breast augmentation

+1
An infection this long after the surgery is quite rare but can happen. Bruises are common but do not cause infections. I'm happy to hear you have seen your doctor and I encourage you to communicate with him as much as possible to ensure a speedy recovery.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Infection after breast augmentation

+1

I am sorry you are having trouble, and I sincerely hope your infection will be easy to treat. 

It is very unusual to have an infection 10 weeks after a breast augmentation.  I do think you are treating this correctly at this point.  Keep in touch with your surgeon. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Infection 2 1/2 Months after surgery?

+1

Dear Jodie,

Thank you for your post.  As others have stated, infections, especially this late from surgery are rare.  Bruises do not cause infection.  Bruises are simply a small amount of bleeding into the tissue.  This can happen during a surgery or just when you hit a body part on accident.  Infections this late from surgery are usually caused by bacteria being in the blood for some reason. If you had another infection shortly before you noticed changes in the breast, such as sinus infection, tooth infection, etc. the bacteria in the blood could have travelled to the breast implant and caused the infection.  Again, this is very rare.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Infection after breast augmentation

+1

It is unfortunate that you have an infection.  I am not sure if you also had a breast lift in addition to an augmentation because that would increase the risk of infection.  The bruise is from bleeding into tissue and that can sometimes be a nidus for infection.  In either case, stay in touch with your surgeon and wish you speedy recovery.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Infection

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your infection.  Infections after breast augmentation are very rare.  Having an infection over 2 months after surgery is even more rare but it can happen.  I'm glad you've followed up with your plastic surgeon and have started treatment.  wishing you a speedy recovery

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Treating breast implant infection

+1

Dear Jodie,

An implant infection is rare but can happen.  It often happens in the first few weeks after surgery so an infection at 2.5 months out is a little less common.  Treatment with augmentin may help.  If it does not seem to be improving your plastic surgeon may want to obtain a culture to determine if it is the proper type of antibiotics.  Doing so will also allow him/her to determine if indeed it is an infection or some type of inflammatory process not related to bacteria.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD