Breast Augmentaion Complications: Breast Feeding?

I had an augmentation from a AA to a C cup at 24 years old. I am currently 32. Saline implants, under the muscle, and full retention of nipple sensitivity. I am concerned that I may encounter complications when breastfeeding. Would you please comment on the likelihood of this and what can be done about it.

Breast feeding after breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation through an incision in the breast fold should not disrupt the breast ducts and therefore should not impair the ability to breast feed.  However, I tell all my patients that if they haven't had kids and therefore have never breast fed, there is the possibility that they may have difficulty with breast feeding anyhow.  Sometimes the milk doesn't come in, the nipple doesn't protrude enough, the baby can't latch on, the baby is colicky, etc.  The surgery may not cause these issues but it could just be the way their breasts are anyhow.  That being said, if the nipples are sensate after a breast augmentation I would predict that breast feeding wouldn't be an issue.  If there are problems, consult with your hospital lactation specialist.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants have no negative impact on breast-feeding.

+1

There is no reason you cannot attempt to breast feed with your breast augmentation. There's no evidence that there is any benefit with implants above or below the muscle.

+1

If you have normal sensation, it is unlikely that you will have problems nursing related to your breast surgery. If problems do develop, the best resource will be the La Leche League. All the best.