How Common is It for Breast Augmentation Patients to Wish They'd Gone Bigger?

I recently underwent breast augmentation at the end of May. I told my PS I wanted to go bigger (from an A cup) but wanted to still look natural. I had 2 sizes to choose from 350 cc and 375 cc submuscular. I chose the 350. Post op I felt I should've chosen the bigger size and now my feelings of regret are growing stronger. I have had friends undergo BA's and are completely happy. I am not happy with the size I chose at all. Is it normal for me to feel this way? Any recommendations?

Wishing you went "bigger" with implants

+3

Unfortunately, this is a common experience for many breast enlargement patients. In my experience, a large percentage feel entirely too large for approximately 2-3 weeks, okay with their size for the next 2-3 weeks and then disappointed for a period of time after that. You should keep in mind, however, that your chest wall is only so wide and if you have an overly large implant in your chest, you get a less than optimal appearance. Also keep in mind that extremely large implants can make an otherwise athletic build appear to be top heavy. All in all, it sounds like you and your surgeon made a good choice. I tell my patients to wait a year and then increase their size if they so desire.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Going Bigger After First Breast Augmentation

+3

Your feeling of being too small after your breast augmentation is very common.  In fact, over 90% of women all wish they had gone larger about three months after surgery.  The reason is that for the first few weeks, your breasts are swollen and larger than they really are going to be.  You get used to things that way, and when the swelling goes down and the implants settle, women say they liked it when things were swollen, etc.  I would not beat yourself up over the difference between 350cc and 375cc.  That size difference is very small ( essentially two tablespoons), so I doubt that would have made you feel perfect about the size.  I usually recommend women give it a good three months of healing up so that they are used to everything before making any sort of revision decisions.  This way, you have had time to run through the full gamut of emotions, as well as complete all the healing process.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation Sizing

+2

In my experience it is not common at all for patients to wish that they had selected a larger or smaller size implant.  I think that this is due to time spent with the patient in selecting and trying on different implant sizes.  I do occasionally change implant sizes, but it is unusual.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Augmentation Results

+1
What you are feeling is very, very common! Many patients choose the conservative implant size option, but then regret doing so. In fact, one of the primary reasons patients seek revision surgery is to replace their implants with something bigger. However, the difference between 350cc and 375cc isn't much, so you may have still been unhappy if you had gone with 375cc.

You should consider the pros and cons of having revision surgery, carefully considering the related risks of treatment. Having larger implants will also increase the rate at which your breasts sag over time.  If you believe the pros outweigh the cons, then proceed with revision surgery. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Bigger breast implants

+1

Sorry to hear you are unhappy.  Don't beat yourself up over it.  If you had chosen the 375cc, it would have been slightly bigger, but you still would probably not have been satisfied.  Also, going from an A cup, there is a limit as to how big you can go in a day.  If yo exceed that limit, the pec muscles will push the implants out to the sides and/or you will get stretch marks.  If you want to go larger, you may want to wait at least 3 months.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal and replacement for larger implants

+1

Undergoing surgery with larger implants is generally reporated as one of the most common reasons for breast implant revision and occurs approximately in 8% of primary breast implant augmentation procedures performed with silicone implants.

It is quite common to wish you went bigger.

+1

There have even been studies to show that most women who undergo revision following breast augmentation do so because they want to be bigger. The majority of women who reoperate for size issues ,in probably 80% of cases, go larger. The reasons for this are numerous. It is very important to feel comfortable with your plastic surgeon and to ask all of the questions related to your procedure preop. In your case i am sure that your surgeon has had some experience with this in the past, as we all have, and the appropriate steps can be taken to address your concerns.

Nick Masri, MD

Going Bigger in Breast Augmenation

+1

The most frequent complaint that I get with breast augmentation patients is that "I should have gone bigger.'  As a result, I will always try and push patients just a bit to make their final decision - even the PTA moms.  I think most women aren't honest with themselves about how big they would like to truly go - for fear of looking too big and obvious.  As a result, they under-size.

In your situation, I would wait until about 6 months after surgery so that your tissues can adequately heal.  Then you can proceed with a secondary augmentation.  The only advice is to go at least 2 sizes larger, one size just really isn't worth it.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD