Breast Aug 3 Months Ago - Areola Shape and Location

Should Aerola Be an Odd Shape and Sit So High, That It Shows Outside my Bra? Any info would be good, i have been to my PS he suggests waiting it out to see if it settles in, my left aerola is shaped like a guitar pick...............sure hope this gets fixed, he says he can reshape. Is it common for aerola to be much smaller after B/A or will their normal size return after a period of time? When should the feeling in the aerola return?

Breast Augmentation Results?

+1

Without examining you or viewing pictures it is difficult to give you meaningful advice;  your plastic surgeon is in the best position to do so.

Based on your description, implant displacement ( bottoming out) may be an issue;  this may need to be corrected to improve the position of the areola. Changing the size/shape of the areola is also possible with revisionary surgery.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  make sure he can demonstrate significant experience with revisionary surgery if this is contemplated.

Areolar shape, size and location

+1

Photos would, of course, be helpful. 

It sounds like your implants may be too low.  When implants "bottom out", the nipples ride to high (some people call them stargazers because they point towards the stars).  If the implants are returned to their proper position, the nipples come down relative to the implant.  If your nipples look better positioned when you push your implants up, this is likely the reason for the nipple position being too high.

A mild irregularity in areolar shape is usually not that troublesome but a guitar pick shape sounds unacceptable unless you live in Nashville. 

I doubt is much of anything will change much now that it's been three months.  If your concerns are not addressed by your surgeon, you should get second opinion. 

It would be great for you to resubmit your question with photos.

Seattle Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Lisa Lynn Sowder

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Post Breast Augmentation Areola Changes

+1

It is possible for the Areola to be positioned too high following breast augmentation. This could be a result of your anatomy pre-operatively. If the lower half (or inferior pole) of breast skin stretches, the breast "bottoms out" resulting in a nipple areola complex in a higher position than desired. If the inframammary crease (under the breast) has been disrupted, this may also result in a higher nipple position. These conditions can be repaired surgically, but you it always wise to be patient for a period of 3-6 months before rushing back to surgery. Areola size usually increases following breast augmentation.

Todd Adam, MD
League City Plastic Surgeon

Breast areola shape

+1

Without seeing photos it is hard to say, but very often the areola can be revised to look more round.  As for it popping out of your bra, again an exam would be important.

Post op areolar shape

+1

Dear Islandcruiser,

Sorry that your surgery did not give you your expected result.  I would  expect your breasts to have settled by 3 months post op.  Get back to see your PS now and explain how you feel.  If your cry falls on deaf ears I might ask your PS for a referral to another PS for a second opinion.  Good Luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Areola shape and location

+1

1. The areola should be close to the most prominent part of the breast mound and within the bra.

2. Unless areolar tissue has been removed (for example, by a 'donut' breast lift done at the same time), usually areola appears the same size or even bigger as the breast tissue is stretched by the implant.

3. The sensation can take a few months to return - 4-6 months not being uncommon. A small number of patients may experience some permanent changes in the sensation.

You have not mentioned how long ago you had your surgery. If things do not settle to your satisfaction within a few months, consider seeing your surgeon again.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon