Will a Breast Aug Fill out my Breasts or is a Lift Necessary? (photo)

My breasts lack shape and volume, and my skin has significant stretch marks. Will a breast augmentation yield good results without a lift?

Like several of my colleagues, I'm pretty sure you don't need a lift (if implants are adequate size to "fill" your skin).

+2

While my colleagues who think a lift may be necessary are right to suggest that an examination is essential before a specific recommendation can be rendered, your nipples face forward, appear to be well above your inframammary creases, and--with adequate implant volume to fill your deflated skin brassiere--lift would likely NOT be necessary to achieve a great result.

I know there are plastic surgeons who will tell you that "large" implants are more likely to "bottom out" or have other ill effects, but proper pocket position initially can be tailored to take this into account, and this makes you NOT a borderline case in my opinion.

Nothing takes the place of a personal consultation with an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast augmentation, and performs over 100 of these procedures per year. This gives a more seasoned fund of knowledge from which to draw good advice and recommendations.

Depending on your desired final size, I think implants alone can yield not only good, but great, results! Click on the link below to see women who started with the same or even more droop or deflation than you, and had implants alone yield the results you see. Check out cases 6, 11, 14, 24, 26, 27, and 31, all my own patients. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Large Breast Implants vs Lift and Smaller Implants

+2

Your dilemma is that you are a 'tweener'. You have some sagging so a larger implant may be needed to fill out the volume but the breast position will stay low. A lift with an implant will allow you to have a smaller implant and slightly higher positioned breasts but that comes with the trade-off of scars. Either way you have to accept some disadvantages with either approach and different plastic surgeons will have different preferences for either approach. You must think it through a decide which of the trade-offs is the better choice for you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Is a lift necessary?

+2

I think you have had very good advice from the surgeons who have responded so far.  I would caution you that I have seen several patients who have similar anatomy as you who have been told that a large implant would give you enough of a lift so that a lift (and its associated scar) would not be necessary.  Beware...you would likely end up with large saggy breasts that look too low.  You already know that your skin has lost some elasticity from the stretch marks...volume alone is not the answer.  A lift with an implant would give you a better shape as well as smaller areolas.  Ask to see examples of your surgeons work before making a decision.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Probable

+2

While the photos suggests that you will need a breast augmentation and lift, you should verify with in person consultations and exams with board certified plastic surgeons. Consult with 3 - 4 board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast lift needed or just augmentation

+1

For best results, you most likely will need a lift with your augmentation. My suggestion would be to plan on having both procedures. Complete the breast augmentation with an appropriate sized implant. Do not choose a size that will be big enough to fill out the skin envelope to try to avoid the breast lift. Choose a conservative size that is right for your body. Allow the implants to heal and settle for 3 months. Then decide if you feel that you need the breast lift. There is a small chance that you will be happy with the shape of the breasts after 3 months. If so, you are done and happy. If not, then simply proceed with the breast lift that you have already mentally and monetarliy prepared for. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift And/Or Augmentation

+1

Your photos are not sufficient to provide you with an accurate solution and a physical examination is the right way to go.

Nonetheless, to correct the sagging and the size of your breasts you could benefit from:

1. Submuscular implants of a large size that would have to be your choice and a lift may not be necessary but some sagging will remain.

2. Submuscular implants of a relatively small size with a lift that will provide you with perky breast.

I encourage you to consult with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience who will guide you to make a well informed decision. Your breasts are of a good anatomical structure and with the right surgeon you will enjoy commendable results.

Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing your photos.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast aug. +/- lift

+1

Hard to tell for sure, based upon the photos - it could go either way. Seek a consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon for specific recommendations. Once evaluated, your surgeon should have a better idea as to what procedure would be best.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Breast lift

+1

In my opinion, you are right on the border as far as needing a lift or not.  If you are inclined to just have the implants, you can always get a lift done later.  Just be sure not too go too large or the weight of overly large implants could cause the breasts to sag and then you will definitely need a lift done.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Augmentation Alone

+1

Based on these photos alone I think you need a breast augmentation.  It does not appear that a breast lift would be needed to optimally enhance your breasts.  That being said, this cannot be reliably determined without a consultation to exam your breasts and discuss with you your desires and expectations. 

I recommend you consult with one or more plastic surgeons board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who are members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and preferably members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.  Also make sure these plastic surgeons are experienced in aesthetic breast surgery procedures and view their pre- and post-operative photos.  Best wishes for what should be a beautiful final result.

L. Dwight Baker, MD
Dothan Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with lift

+1

Hello and thanks for the question.

While having the opportunity to examine you may provide a more detailed guess as to the ideal procedure you would require, from the photos provided I would say you would have an appreciable improvement with a breast augmentation alone - and indeed if a lift were necessary it is likely that you would be able to get away with a Benelli versus a vertical mastopexy. My recommendation would be to seek the opinion of at least a few plastic surgeons before coming to any decisions.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD