Breast Aug - Dark Red Marks? (photo)

I am 7 days post op and after taking off the out dressings last night I have noticed dark red/purple marks on my right breast. Are these anything to worry about? I do not know if it will be best to leave them uncovered or to put another dressing on to prevent infection. I do not see my surgeon for another week but should I be using creams on these marks as soon as possible to prevent scarring or are they permanent? It would be useful to know what they are to prevent any more or them getting worse?

Post Operative Red Marks

+1

Thank you for the question and the pictures. Judging from your photos these red marks appear to be bruising. Not uncommon in the early post operative period. For the most part these will go on to resolve without any sequela. Make sure that you are not on any medications or taking supplements that can cause bleeding, such as Motrin, aspirin, vitamin E, etc. or that the bruises or the size of your breast are not becoming larger.

Again, this will most likely resolve on its' own, continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Probably Bruising

+1

These areas most likely represent bruising.  They should resolve in 7-10 days and rarely leave scars.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Bruising after augmentation

+1

Thanks foy your inquiry, I believe you have some bruising after the augmentation.  Please see your surgeon for a check-up.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Bruises after Breast Augmentation

+1

As everyone else has posted, these are indeed bruises that should resolve in about one week's time.   Sometimes the blood migrates out of the vessel and travels the first few days after surgery before becoming apparent.

Bruising after breast augmentation?

+1

It looks bsaed upon yoru photos that you have some bruising which looks pretty normal after surgery. If concerned, it is best to see your doctor.

Dark red marks after breast augmentation surgery

+1

Hello. These marks are most likely just bruises from the surgery. This is not uncommon and unless you notice them getting much worse I would not worry. Just make sure to bring these up to your surgeon when you see him in a week so that he can evaluate them in person.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Post op Breast Augmentation

+1

The red marks one week after surgery are normal post operative bruising. Expect the bruising to resolve the next week or two. No additional treatment is needed at this time and you should not place a dressing over the areas.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

This is bruising, and nothing to worry about!

+1

You are one week post-op, and obviously had at least a bit of bleeding/bruising that has now begun to show as gravity pulls the blood cells towards the dependent areas of the breast skin. If your breasts are soft, the same size,  and your implants move gently in their pockets, this is subcutaneous bruising only, and of no concern whatsoever. It will be gone a week or two. Some, but not all, patients have this on one or both sides.

If that (right) breast is substantially more swollen than the opposite side, there could have been more bleeding on that side, and this is something your surgeon will want to evaluate, perhaps sooner than your next recheck in a week.

This requires no creams and will not cause scarring (it's just like a black eye and will reabsorb completely). Oral arnica montana (available at health foods stores or your surgeon's office) can help your body reabsorb the discoloration caused by the blood cells in your tissues, but is not necessary. Time and patience will resolve this without concern.

Follow your surgeon's advice regarding incisions and their care. After one week they are sealed, but not yet durable. The less you mess, the better they will be! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Augmentation

+1

If you are concerned I would recommend contacting your surgeon and letting him know.  I'm sure he wants to make sure you are well taken care of.  However, they look like mild bruises and nothing to be concerned about.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug - Dark Red Marks?

+1

These look like bruises from surgery, and are not at all alarming in appearance. Some patients get none, some less and some more than you. Expect these to resolve without leaving any marks.

All the best.