Breast Asymmetry- What Are the Best Options?

I am 21 with no children. I have breast asymmetry. My breast are much different in size. My left breast is about a B and my right one is a D. This is something that has always bothered me. I have recently went to the doctor and he said I have a couple of options. Get a breast reduction on the right side, and then a breast lift on the left or a silicone implant on the left. If I get a lift my left will reduce even more. I am just really worried about getting an implant and the risks involved.

Breast asymetry

+1

Significant breast assymetry is normally improved with reduction of the large breast and I use a saline implant on the smaller side in many cases, depending on the patients build, because it can be fine tuned as far as size is concerned. If using an implant is a concern for the patient then fat grafts could be used for the smaller breast, but I would caution that a second round of fat grafts might be necassary.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

Hello. As your doctor told you the best options you have would be to either reduce the right breast or augment the left breast. Breast implants are relatively safe but I understand your feelings on the risks associated with them. A reduction of the right breast may be the best option for you. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Severe breast assymetry

+1

The options for correction are numerous.  Breast implants are quite safe.  If you decline an implant then a severe reduction of the D breast will be necessary.  Take your time to make a decision.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Breast Asymmetry - What Are the Best Options?

+1

This is a great question.  Many women have asymmetry of their breasts but the best treatment depends on both the degree of asymmetry, and what they (the women) are willing to undergo surgically.  In some cases, just using two different size implants will be the best choice.  Perfect symmetry is, of course, not common, with or without surgery.  In your case, though, there is enough of a difference between the two breasts so that you may actually need the two completely different procedures that have been recommended for you.  If there is any question go for a few more consults, just to see what your options are.  But if it's accurate that one is a D and the other is a B then you may need to consider a lift/reduction on the larger side, and an implant on the smaller.  And, finally, you may be able to achieve much more with an implant than if you're not willing to have that.  The choice is yours, but you might as well know your options.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Thank you for the question. Breast asymmetry is very common in plastic surgery. Get another opinion from an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your otions. Don't be afraid to go forward as you have much to gain. Thomas Narsete, M.D. Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry Best Options

+1

From your description you do have a significant asymmetry between the breasts.  If you want to avoid an implant then your only option is to reduce the large breast to the size of the smaller breast. The smaller may need a lift as well to match the height of the reduced left breast.  The lift will not make that breast smaller if no tissue was taken out. Just discuss the options with your plastic surgeon to find the best option.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry- What Are the Best Options...

+1

Asymmetry is a very common scenario in breast surgery.  It can be quite difficult to make them symmetrical because it is often more complicated than just putting a bigger implant on one side.  Often times a lift and/or reduction may be needed on one side.  Also, the implant may need to be positioned in a different place on one side.  More than anything else, it is vital to consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon that has extensive experience in asymmetric breast surgery.  Ask to look at pictures of asymmetric breasts so you can develop sense of what can be done.

Shain A. Cuber, MD

Breast Asymmetry Options

+1

I think the options mentioned are reasonable, but you should realize that a breast lift has a negligible effect on breast size.  A few grams of skin is all that is removed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast asymmetry

+1

An exam in person would be helpful. There are several different options two of which were described.  It would help to see pictures at the minimum.

How to make assymetric breasts more symmetric

+1

It's hard to give you and exact answer without examining you, but have done many surgeries to make very asymmetric breasts more symmetric you might need a reduction on one side and an implant on the other.  This is very commonly done and breast implants are very safe and effective at improving the size and shape of breasts.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD