Can Breast Asymmetry Be Fixed with JUST an Augmentation; No Lift on Larger Side?

I have a normal A cup on one side and a slightly droopy C on the other. Nipple of larger breast does not need repositioned. If I were to get implants in both breasts, is there a chance the smaller one would lay even with the larger breast? Does everyone with asymmetry need a lift on the larger side? I can't provide a photo at the moment, I just want to know if this is possible.

CAN BREAST ASYMMETRY BE FIXED WITH JUST AN AUGMENTATION?

+1

Breast asymmetry is very common.  In fact, most women do not have perfectly symmetrical breasts.  The amount of asymmetry is what is noticed by most patients.  Generally speaking, there needs to be at least a 50 gram difference between the two breasts in order to be able to see asymmetry between the breasts, assuming the nipples are at similar position.

The larger breast typically will also have a lower nipple, so that sometimes lifting of the nipple is required in addition to breast augmentation.  This does not necessarily mean that a full mastopexy with a vertical scar or a T scar is required on the larger side.  This again depends on the amount of asymmetry and the majority of the asymmetry can be improved with different size implants measured to fit the patient specifically.

Can breast asymmetry be corrected with no lift on larger breast

+1

Without photos it's difficult to say.  It would really depend on how droopy your larger breast is.  If it's not that droopy and depending on what your expectations are, you may be able to achieve an improvement in volume with just an augmentation but not shape.  Also, they won't be exactly symmetrical, no one has perfectly symmetrical breasts.  Best bet would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an exam and get your best options from there.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation is not enough

+1

Breast augmentation only changes the volume of the breast.  Other aspects of importance are position on the chest wall, symmetry, cleavage and nipple position, which are not changed by the volume.  The best way to achieve symmetrical breasts is to operate on both simultaneously.  I recommend a circumareola incision to correct the asymmetry of the nipple position and correct the sagging.  You may be a candidate for Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breast augmentation

+1

Dear Kimberly,

In the scenario that you present, even with a "normal A cup" breast and an only "slightly droopy" contralateral breast it is unlikely that your breasts will lie evenly with different sized implants.  Of course, consultation with an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon with an actual physical examination can more accurately define your needs and goals.  Good luck! 

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Can breast asymmetry be fixed just with augmentation

+1

This all depends on how loose the larger breast is.  If it is slight, you may be able to avoid a lift. You should have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to go over your specific case.

Janet Woodyard, MD

Fixing Asymmetric Breasts

+1

It's very hard to advise you without seeing at least a picture.  The answer depends on your expectations.  If you are happy only addressing the size difference between your breasts, then you can just have the augmentation. You need to understand, though, that you will likely still have one sagging breast and one perky breast.  I counsel many of the women in my practice that a breast lift along with augmentation will give the most pleasing result.  Many decide not to have a lift to avoid the scars.  This is a personal decision, but it is essential to set your expectations appropriately.  If one breast sags and the other does not, full correction will likely require a breast lift.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Breast Augmentation Will Not Match Sagging Breast n One Side

+1

Thank you for your question. If the larger breast is truly Ptotic or Sagging it is very unlikely that placing breast implants will cause the smaller non sagging breast to sag and match the sagging side.

If the droop or sag is minimal a larger implant on the smaller side may be possible. Pictures would help.

The last photo in the link below shows a Breast Asymmetry correction. Thank you again for your important question.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say what is best for you but if your breast is sagging on one side then a lift sounds reasonable.

Breast augmentation with or without breast lift

+1

Hello Kimberly

The approach to asymmetric breasts can be addressed with a number of surgical options and needs to be individualized to each patient depending on the degree of size asymmetry and shape asymmetry, particularly the amount of sag or "ptosis". If the sag is minimal,placing different size implants with an augmentation alone can be considered. Shape may not be perfect, but a secondary lift could be considred in the future if the shape of the sagging breast is not ideal. If more severe, a lift at the time of augmentation may be necessary . Either way, with large degrees of asymmetry, volume discrepancy can be improved but  it is difficult to create perfect shape symmetry . An examination is obviously crucial to determine the best option. Best of luck!

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry before surgery

+1

#Breastasymmetry is a common problem. It is unlikely that implants alone even of different sizes are placed in each breast can make an A cup on one side like a droopy C cup on the other side. That does not mean you cannot do that first and then see if you want additional surgery to make them more symmetric. In my experience these types of breasts are different in size and shape so implants alone will not suffice as the smaller breast assumes the shape of the implant while the larger breast assumes the shape of the implant plus the native breast tissue.

Without photos or face to face examination it is impossible to be more specific.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD