Breast Asymmetry Correction Surgery? (photo)

I have asymmetrical breasts and it is causing me a great deal of psychological distress. I don't really want surgery because I'm worried about cost and future surgeries down the road but I feel it is the only solution. Could birth control possibly even them out? I'm 19 years old and I doubt they are still developing. One breast is an A and the other a small C. I have never been intimate with anyone because I am so self-conscious. Would insurance ever cover such a surgery?

Breast asymmetry

+2

I would agree with another response that breast asymmetry is very common to varying degrees and should not be a cause of psychological distress nor is it likely that this level of asymmetry would be judged a medical problem and be covered by insurance. You are better off to decide for yourself what, if anything you want to do about it.

You are fortunate that the asymmetry is nearly purely volume and there is very little shape or position difference. Breast implants are ideal for this as they only provide volume. The difference in size looks to be about one cup size so a properly fitted and positioned implant of saline-filled or silicone gel-filled of the lowest profile should increase the left breast by about one cup size. You could also augment both sides with a low profile on the right and a high profile on the left. 

I would not recommend fat grafting to the breast at your age and at this time as the methods to do this are not well established and there are no long term studies to show that such grafting has no influence on developing breast cancer or problems in the future. However, at some point this might be a good solution to such asymmetry of volume. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Rest assured, asymmetry is the rule for breasts.  However, it seems likely that one of your breasts did not, or has not yet, fully developed.  Typically at this age your breasts should be fully developed.  There really are no treatment options that don't involve surgery (except wearing a padded bra or "falsie" on the smaller side), but I encourage you to see a board-certified plastic surgeon and find out what options you do have.  Best wishes.

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry.

+1

First and foremost - this is a very common issue. Many women have discrepancies in size between their breasts. Birth control will not even out your breasts, and you are likely correct that your breasts have stopped growing. Correction of this type of asymmetry could be performed with a small implant in the left breast. This is an outpatient procedure which would take less than one hour. Although not a guarantee, we have had success having insurance cover procedures such as this. I would recommend having a consultation to discuss the details of surgery, what to expect in the long term, and the implications of breast implants.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Assymetry to breasts

+1

I would do a small aug to the smaller size.This is simple safe and effective.you would need saline.Insurance may pay for it.Get a consult.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

AFT for breast asymmetry

+1
You may be the perfect candidate for AFT (Autologous Fat Transfer) provided you have some fat that can be harvested from elsewhere in your body. You need a full examination and a thorough history to assess your suitability.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Thank you for your question and photo.

I understand your concern of having surgery and possibly needing more surgery in the future but I do not think you can correct this asymmetry without surgery.  I also do not believe that insurance will cover this surgery for you.

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeons so that you know what type of risks are associated with having surgery and make a decision after that.

Good Luck!

Breast Asymmetry

+1

I would recommend breast implants to correct your asymmetry. You would benefit from a  breast implant or implants. The surgery is simple and is performed in about an hour. The scars are well hidden and often almost undetectable at about a year. Unfortunately, insurance does not cover this. Please know that your degree of asymmetry is not uncommon. Good luck with your decision.

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry Correction Surgery?

+1

Thanks fore the photo posted. Best to have in person evaluations with boarded PSs in your area. Only some form of surgery will correct. From Fat grafts to small implants. Sorry no health insurance will cover or offer benefits. 

Breast Asymmetry Correction

+1

You would be a good candidate for breast asymmetry correction. Most likely, you will need an implant in the smaller side. This procedure though would not be covered by insurance. Consult with 2 - 3 board certified plastic surgeons in your area to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Dear Anonymous,

Your breast volume asymmetry is a condition that can be corrected with breast implant(s).  Simply placing a small implant in your left breast would greatly improve the symmetry.  You are very fortunate that your breasts have very similar shapes and that is very helpful in achieving the best possible result.

This corrective procedure, unfortunately, is not likely to be covered by insurance.  I hope that you are able to achieve your goal of corrective breast surgery which should greatly improve your body image.  Best wishes!!!!!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon