Breast Asymmetry Correction Surgery? (photo)

I have asymmetrical breasts and it is causing me a great deal of psychological distress. I don't really want surgery because I'm worried about cost and future surgeries down the road but I feel it is the only solution. Could birth control possibly even them out? I'm 19 years old and I doubt they are still developing. One breast is an A and the other a small C. I have never been intimate with anyone because I am so self-conscious. Would insurance ever cover such a surgery?

Breast asymmetry

I would agree with another response that breast asymmetry is very common to varying degrees and should not be a cause of psychological distress nor is it likely that this level of asymmetry would be judged a medical problem and be covered by insurance. You are better off to decide for yourself what, if anything you want to do about it.

You are fortunate that the asymmetry is nearly purely volume and there is very little shape or position difference. Breast implants are ideal for this as they only provide volume. The difference in size looks to be about one cup size so a properly fitted and positioned implant of saline-filled or silicone gel-filled of the lowest profile should increase the left breast by about one cup size. You could also augment both sides with a low profile on the right and a high profile on the left. 

I would not recommend fat grafting to the breast at your age and at this time as the methods to do this are not well established and there are no long term studies to show that such grafting has no influence on developing breast cancer or problems in the future. However, at some point this might be a good solution to such asymmetry of volume. 

Boulder Plastic Surgeon

400 S McCaslin Blvd
Boulder, CO 80303

Breast asymmetry options

Thank you for your question. Breast asymmetry is very common, particularly size asymmetry. If you are looking to decrease the asymmetry from one breast to another, then you have several options.
1) You can reduce the larger breast with liposuction or a traditional breast reduction technique
2) You can enlarge the smaller one with fat grafting or an implant
3) You can enlarge both but use different size implants
4) A lift procedure may also be needed to help address differences in shape, nipple position and areolar size.
I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in more detail.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Correcting breast asymmetry

No woman's breasts are identical in size and shape. Every woman has asymmetric breasts, and it's just a matter of how much of a difference there is. If you don't want to reduce the size of the larger one then adding volume to the smaller one with an implant would be the alternative.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Breast Asymmetry

Rest assured, asymmetry is the rule for breasts.  However, it seems likely that one of your breasts did not, or has not yet, fully developed.  Typically at this age your breasts should be fully developed.  There really are no treatment options that don't involve surgery (except wearing a padded bra or "falsie" on the smaller side), but I encourage you to see a board-certified plastic surgeon and find out what options you do have.  Best wishes.

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

1357 Hembree Rd
Roswell, GA 30076

Breast asymmetry.

First and foremost - this is a very common issue. Many women have discrepancies in size between their breasts. Birth control will not even out your breasts, and you are likely correct that your breasts have stopped growing. Correction of this type of asymmetry could be performed with a small implant in the left breast. This is an outpatient procedure which would take less than one hour. Although not a guarantee, we have had success having insurance cover procedures such as this. I would recommend having a consultation to discuss the details of surgery, what to expect in the long term, and the implications of breast implants.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

660 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Assymetry to breasts

I would do a small aug to the smaller size.This is simple safe and would need saline.Insurance may pay for it.Get a consult.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

3700 Central Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33901

AFT for breast asymmetry

You may be the perfect candidate for AFT (Autologous Fat Transfer) provided you have some fat that can be harvested from elsewhere in your body. You need a full examination and a thorough history to assess your suitability.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

560 Northern Blvd.
Great Neck, NY 11021

Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for your question and photo.

I understand your concern of having surgery and possibly needing more surgery in the future but I do not think you can correct this asymmetry without surgery.  I also do not believe that insurance will cover this surgery for you.

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeons so that you know what type of risks are associated with having surgery and make a decision after that.

Good Luck!

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Breast Asymmetry

I would recommend breast implants to correct your asymmetry. You would benefit from a  breast implant or implants. The surgery is simple and is performed in about an hour. The scars are well hidden and often almost undetectable at about a year. Unfortunately, insurance does not cover this. Please know that your degree of asymmetry is not uncommon. Good luck with your decision.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

2322 E Oakland Park Blvd
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306

Breast Asymmetry Correction Surgery?

Thanks fore the photo posted. Best to have in person evaluations with boarded PSs in your area. Only some form of surgery will correct. From Fat grafts to small implants. Sorry no health insurance will cover or offer benefits. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143