Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation almost 3 weeks ago to give more volume to my A cup. My right breast had less breast tissue than my left so my surgeon recommended 300cc in left and 350 in right to even them out. I had saline under muscle. The surgery had the desired effect for volume but my asymmetry has now swapped sides. I have mild scoliosis and my right shoulder and rib cage curve sit more forward on my right which probably doesn't help my cause. Is it likely things will improve in time?

Asymmetry 3 weeks after breast augmentation

It's not uncommon to have asymmetry 3 weeks after breast augmentation. It takes several months for the swelling to resolve and for your implants to continue "settling". It's important to keep your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best.

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

1903 East Fir Avenue
Fresno, CA 93720

Asymmetry at 3 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation

Asymmetry at 3 weeks following breast augmentation may be due to aymmetric implant descent, asymmetric chest wall, preoperative symmetry, or a combination of all these things.  Give at least 6 months in this situation to properly assess the results of the surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation

At 3 weeks, the breasts are still changing. It is possible that there will be improvement for up to 3 months.  However, with scoliosis and rib cage asymmetry, complete correction of breast asymmetry may not be possible. It is best to wait before deciding whether to undergo another procedure.

Some saline implants have a valve that allows for postoperative adjustment, which can be helpful in difficult asymmetry cases. However, if the asymmetry is mild, it may be best to accept it.  Approximately 90% of women have some asymmetry, so it is not abnormal.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

737 N Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611

Encourageing Implants to Drop

Glad to hear you are healing so well. My patients sometimes have one implant that is a little slower to drop than the other. At 5 weeks or so, I sometimes have them place their hands over the upper third of the high breast and push toward their ribs. They hold the compression for 10 seconds and do 10 reps an hour when possible. This can help push the implant lower on the chest, stretching the pocket a bit. Check with your surgeon first to see if this is a good option for you.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

110 East Main Street #6
Huntington, NY 11743

Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry.

It seems that you have already started with asymmetrical breasts before you have had your surgery.

Also, at 3 weeks post-op it is too early to judge the results of your surgery. At this point, it is best to be a little patient and let nature take its course.

Unfortunately, at this point without a physical examination and knowing the full details of your surgery it is not possible to provide you with a solid reason of why you are exhibiting the asymmetry stated in your post.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation

It is so early in the game to really know what your final shape will be. I think you have to give the breast implants at least 3-6 months to settle down and let your shape settle out.

Richard J. Brown, MD

11000 N Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

I advise patients to wait a full three to six months before making any final judgements regarding secondary procedures.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

1035 Park Ave
New York City, NY 10028

Breast asymmetry

Slight asymmtery is normal. Yes, sometimes that happens where the smaller side becomes the larger one.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Asymmetry after Breast Implant Augmentation

Dear Honkytonk,

Breast asymmetry is actually very common, and technicall is virtually ubiquitous. As I always say: no two breast in the world are identical. So, this is a problem that almost every woman in the world has noticed. Asymmetry that is enhanced or created anew after breast implant augmentation is not uncommon, especially since there was a notable difference in the first place, and since a technique of differently-sized implant placement was used to try to ameliorate this problems. Changes in implant position and consequent cosmetic appearance is normal, and happens during the first few months. Technically speaking, however, this process never stops, as the implants settle with gravity and time. My suggestion is discuss this matter with your plastic surgeon and follow-up closely. He/she knows your body best, and he/she should be able to helps. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc

Board-Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon

Daniel Kaufman, MD, FACS

2120 Ocean Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11229

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

As you can imagine, it is not possible to provide you with an accurate prediction whether the breast symmetry will improve with time or not. However, given that you are only 3 weeks out of surgery, there is a good chance that significant changes will continue to occur with breast size/shape… Hopefully, the changes that do occur over the course of the next several months will be to your liking and ultimately you will be pleased with the results of surgery.

Again, only time will tell whether “things will improved”; in the meantime, continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon for more precise advice.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942