Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation. What Are my Options for Correction? (photo)

I am 3 months post op. I had asymmetry pre op and my ps noted it while he was marking. Knowing the human body isn't symmetrical, I expected some degree of asymmetry. I wasn't advised nor prepared for just how asymmetrical I would be after my augmentation. I discussed my concerns with my ps at my 3 mo post op visit. He dismissed me saying that he didn't see that much of a difference. What would my options be at this point for correction?

Right Breast Implant has Failed to Drop and Is Creating Breast Asymmetry

+4

Thank you for your email. The right side implant has failed to drop down into the breast. Was this breast augmentation under or over the muscle?

The proper procedure to correct the asymmetry would be to open the right breast and release whatever is holding the implant high-it could be muscle, breast band, or scar tissue. Once the release is done the implant should drop down into the breast and look more symmetrical with the opposite side.

Asymmetric breasts

+1

are very common as you already know.  Its difficult to determine what the real problem is from the angles of your photos but your options would be to lift the bottom of the left side (more scar) or lower the right implant.  Please realize that lowering implants is not an exact science and often the lowered side becomes too low and you're still asymmetric.

Curtis Wong, MD

Asymmetry of breasts

+1

Yes, you do have asymmetry and an exam in person could better delineate what can be done to improve the difference. Seeing your pre-op photos would have been helpful as well.

Different Breast Shapes

+1

It is obvious that you have 2 different breast shapes.  I believe that potentially lowering the right implant to match shape of left may be prudent.  Preoperative photos would be helpful to note your asymmetry. Remember any asymmetry preop will be magnified(more noticeable) postop because your breasts are larger.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1

Yes it is obvious you had asymmetry to shape, size, and volume. But no pre operative photo was posted to allow us to compare. Thus the result when adding an implant is to magnify these issues. Seek second opinions in person. 

Breast asymmetry after augmenatation

+1

It appears that you have bottomed out and have formed some scar at the inferior portion of the right breast.  The scar on the right is pushing the implant higher.  I have seen this often with right handed individuals after breast augmentation.  I feel the amount of scar formation in some individuals is directed related to activity and usage of the arm shortly after surgery.  Early after breast augmentation if you are active and using one arm more than the other you are more likely to tear the new and vascular capsule.  Where ever the blood pools will result in scar and differential healiing.  This situation will not resolve.  The right side will most likely always be higher where as the left side has vitually no scar will continue to drop.  Its important to use a well padded bra with gel insert to keep the left side from falling further increasing the asymmetry with time.  The right side may need a capsulectomy with time.  Hope that helps.  Dr. Chu

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation

+1

I agree with you that there are differences noticeable both in and out of clothing.  Without your pre-op pictures it is hard to tell what is from surgery and what was present before.  It is clear that your nipple areolar complexes are of different size and location.  In addition you may have different native breast volume that was not addressed with surgery.  Finally the implants may be in different locations with left implant too low and the right too high.  If your current surgeon will not address your concerns, I recommend a consultation with someone who specializes in revisional breast surgery.  You are not straightforward, make sure you chose someone with extensive experience.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation. What Are my Options for Correction

+1

Thank you for your question and for the photos. 

I would agree that there is a noticeable difference. It is not common for the asymmetry to be more apparent with larger breasts. But without pre-op photos it is hard to comment.

It is also not ideal to suggest therapy without seeing those pre-ops, but...

it does look like you would benefit from a mastopexy, to remove some relatively excess skin from the lower pole of the left breast, and to raise the nipple and areola on the right. If the breast size is different, and it is hard to tell from the photos, a size change in one or the other  would be in order.

Best wishes. Consider, please, reposting the question with pre-op photos. 

Asymmetry after Breast Implants

+1

There are certainly things that can be done to improve asymmetry, but preoperative pictures and an exam would be instructive in your case.  One side may be bottoming out and the other side may be high or may need a lift.