Intense Breast and Aerola Pain and Sensitivity After Breast Surgery, Normal?

I went for breast implant in March. But til now its about 5 month and I am still having this disturbing mild swell pain over my breast. Also with sensitivity pain coming on and off around my aerola and nipple. Its the kind of sharp pain but not VERY painful. But its pain enough to disturb me and feel upset about it. Its so long already since my surgery. Am I facing any problem??

Breast Augmentation - Intense Breast and Aerola Pain and Sensitivity After Breast Surgery, Normal?

+1

I would't say it's normal, but it can occur.

It can take a few months for things to return to "normal," but in some cases it can take up to a year or even slightly longer.  In the meantime, I'd suggested moisturizer and perhaps some gentle massage but you should, of course, check with your own plastic surgeon to make sure that everything is healing the way it should be.  At that point I don't think there will be a lot you can do to alter the course of your recovery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Breast pain and nipple sensation issues

+1

It is common for the breast to be hypersensitive after augmentation.  This should improve over time.  Have your surgeon to evaluate you to rule out other causes.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Nipple Sensitivity after Breast Augmentation

+1
Nipple hypersensitivity after breast augmentation is not routine but fairly common. Stretching the breast tissue to insert the implant also stretches the nerves to the nipples and can cause them to go into "overdrive". They will generally settle down on their own although how long it takes can vary. It is very uncommon for this to persist as a long term problem. I agree that massaging may help and if it is bothersome enough you could try more formal desensitization techniques by getting a referral to a pain management specialist.

Joseph Fata, MD

Pain after BA

+1

It's not uncommon to get hypersensitivity of the nipple after augmentation. It can certainly take 3-6 months to get better. I would massage the breast and nipple are to both encourage normal nerve return but also to desensitize it. You can use any type of moisturizer you want. Start out gently and work your way into a more firm massage over 1-2 weeks. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD