Would Breast Augmentation Damage Spine?

I have lower back scoliosis and am considering spinal rod surgery. I have always wanted much bigger breasts and am also wanting a breast agumentation. I am worried that if i do go ahead with the spinal rod surgery that i will be turned down for the breast augumentation surgery or that if i do go for it it the implants would put alot of pressure on the rod and might break it. Any advice?

Breast Augmentation with Back problems

+1

I see no reason why you would not be able to undergo augmentation mammoplasty unless there are extenuating medical problem which I do not know about.  I would consult with a local board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to give you a very definitive answer once examining you and thoroughly going over your medical history. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Scoliosis?

+1

It is very unlikely that breast augmentation will have deleterious effects on the spinal rod. However, for your own peace of mind check with your spine doctor who knows your situation best.

Breast augmentation with back problems

+1

Hi there- 

It is not going to be possible for any of us (as plastic surgeons) to responsibly answer the question of how breast implants might affect your spinal rod, and you should definitely discuss this with your spine surgeon before proceeding.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Do Breast Implants interfer with spinal rod?

+1

No there is no possibility of any interference. Many scoliosis patients have breast implants. Frequently one breast looks smaller than the other because of the twisted rib-cage so we put more saline in that breast implant to even them out. I have placed breast implants in at least a half dozen patients with spinal turn-buckle rods.  Total cost at Lake Tahoe Plastic Surgery is $4400.  Dr Foster 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation should be fine but check with your spine surgeon

+1

I have operated on several women who have had corrective spine surgery and all went well.  The weight of the implants is rather small compared to your upper body weight in general.  I suspect you should be fine but you should check with your spine surgeon and your local plastic surgeon since they will be able to give you a more accurate answer.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast augmentation and spine surgery

+1

It is best to discuss the issue of having breast augmentation an spinal surgery with your neurosurgeon and plastic surgeon.

Breast Augmentation With Back Surgery

+1

Dear Catgirl,

It is not possible to provide you with an accurate answer given the fact that you have a medical priority. You will need to consult with your neurosurgeon and your plastic surgeon to be able to weigh your options.

Usually, average sized breast implants should not be an issue but depending on the actual status of your back scoliosis and the projected back surgery that the final decision should be based on.

Pure medical surgeries should take priority over aesthetic surgeries.

That being said, I believe that the collaboration between both doctors will provide you with a reasonable solution where you will be able to have both surgeries.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation question

+1

You should be fine with breast augmentation. Ask your spine surgeon to be sure. Good luck.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon