Will Breast Augmentation Make My Scoliosis Worse?

I have slight muscle fatigue and lower back scolisos, i currently have quite small breasts as i am quite slim, and am worried that getting a too big breast agumentation might limit my mobility or worsen the scoliosis.

Breast augmentation worsening scoliosis?

+1

Chances of a breast aug worsening scoliosis is slim.  If you have no pain or back issues and just have a diagnosis of a curve in your back, you will probable be all right.  But if you have back fatique and pain chronically I would be very carefull.  Most plastic surgeons have seen women who we performed a very small breast reduction on, which has relieved their back symptoms.  We also have seen women with very large implants where they almost toppled over with no issues. 

Best of luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Breast Augmentation. As long as you choose a moderate-sised implant that fits your frame, it shouldn't be a problem with scoli.

+1

As long as you choose a moderate-sised implant that fits your frame, it shouldn't be a problem.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Scoliosis and Breast Augmentation

+1

I cannot imagine breast implants having any affect on scoliosis. When women complain of heavy breasts it is because of the pendulous nature of their breasts. In your case the implants would be high on your chest wall and you would not feel the weight.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Scoliosis and Breast Augmentation

+1

While a very large breast augmentation could place additional stress on your spine and worsen muscle fatigue, a more modest augmentation should have little if any effect on your back or spine.  In cases of scoliosis it is important to be evaluated and cleared by a spine surgeon/specialist prior to undergoing breast implant surgery.  In most cases patients with scoliosis can achieve the benefits of breast augmentation surgery, and I encourage you to seek consultation with a plastic surgeon in your area.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scoliosis and breast implants

+1

Although it is unlikely that implants would make your scoliosis worse, they may be one more causative factor for back pain. If you decide to proceed, choose a modest size increase, and check with your spine surgeon. You might try "wearing" sample implants in a sports bra for a few days as a trial. 

Good luck. 

Scoliosis and Breast Augmentation?

+1

Although it is best for you to look for advice from your spine doctor ( if you have one), generally speaking I do not think that a breast augmentation operation will necessarily make your scoliosis “worse".   Your plastic surgeon will want to evaluate your chest wall for any associated  chest wall asymmetry.

Again, best to check with the  doctors who know you best.