Post Breast Reduction: Does Breast Ache Still Occur During the Premenstrual Cycle?

I am a 36DD and premenstrual my breast swell up to a ddd and ache. Will they still do this with a breast lift or reduction?

Menstrual Cycle Breast Changes after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

You should expect to have the same swelling and aching associated with the menstrual cycle,  after the breast reduction surgery. Hopefully, it will be of a lesser degree given that  significant amount of breast  tissue is removed.

Breast swelling with menstrusation cycle

+1

Your breasts will likely continue to have the volume change and discomfort after surgery.  It may be a little less if you have a reduction as there will be less breast to swell.  You and your surgeon should take this into consideration when scheduling your surgery.  It would be best to operate when you are not swollen.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

+1

Interesting question. My guess is yes but is dependent on amount of tissue removed. Best to have in person evaluations

Premenstrual symptoms may be present though signficantly decreased following a breast reduction

+1

It is highly likely that you will experience the premenstrual symptoms that you describe to some extent. With a significant reduction of tissue, they may be considerably less and therefore far more tolerable as tissue that would have been hormonally sensitive has been removed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast symptoms

+1

I would anticipate your breast symptoms to behave in similar fashion once you are fully healed after breast reduction, although it is impossible to say for certain. Patients may experience numbness or hypersensitivity in the breasts, shooting pains, swelling, aching and other nonspecific symptoms quite commonly. However, your gland tissue that is preserved would most likely respond as it already does to hormonal changes associated with the menstrual cycle even after surgery, once initial postop issues have subsided.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Menstrual cycle discomfort

+1

The breast response that you have to your menstrual cycle will most likely remain after surgery.  Hard to say exactly.

Breast reduction

+1

Symptoms that are present around the menstral cycle frequently will continue after breast reduction or breast lift. Although there are some patients that do get some relief.

David L. Abramson, MD

Breasts swelling after reduction

+1

what you are describing is the breast tissues response to hormonal fluctuations during the menstrual cycle. When a breast reduction is performed breast tissue is removed but the tissue that remains will continue to behave as it did before. The advantage will be that there is less tissue present and so the fluctuation in volume will not be as great .

I would encourage you to discuss this with your surgeon prior to you surgery.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon