My Breasts are Soft After Having Implants a Week Ago, Does That Mean the Swelling is Gone?

I had a breast implant done a week ago, I used 375cc of silicone gel. I am worried that my breast are going to be smaller than I imagined, if my breast are already soft instead of hard, does that mean that the swelling is just about done? and the size I am now will more likely be my permanent size?

Breast Augmentation

+1

The softening of your breasts could be a combination of a decrease om swelling and a relaxation of your muscle and breast tissues.  As the breast softens the implants will settle and I often find that the relaxation alleviates some of the initial flattening caused by tight tissues.  Of course swelling may still be present, but I would be patient and allow the healing and settling to continue.  I hope this information is helpful.

How fast swelling goes away depends on each individual

+1

How much swelling you would have had after surgery depends on a number of factors including:

1) whether the implant was placed on top or under the muscle

2) how tight your breast tissue was to begin with

3) how big your implant was in relation to your native breast

4) the unique qualities of your physiology

If you had the implant placed under the muscle I would say you have some swelling that is still around.  If the implant was on top of the muscle then most of the swelling should be gone.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Swelling and Breast Augmentation

+1

You are very fortunate that much of your swelling has abated.  By one week it is really hard to determine what your ultimate result will be.   The degree of swelling is certainly dependent on what pocket was created for the implant, implant size, and extent of dissection.  Even though it is only one week ago that you had surgery, you are healing.   The inflammatory process or healing process is still going on.   It is hard at this time to predict your final size and result.   Right now, do you like what you see?   These are all good problems.   :-)

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breasts after surgery

+1

Everyone responds differently to surgery, and some patients swelling subsides rather quickly, although by one week that is a bit unusual.  Hard to predict the final size at this point, it is too soon.

Swelling after breast augmentation

+1

Swelling after breast augmentation, like any procedure, is highly variable and is different from patient to patient.  The majority of the swelling is often gone in the first few weeks after surgery, but some may remain for a few months.  In most cases, however, the amount of swelling left after one week is only a small percentage of the overall breast size.  The shape of the augmented breast usually takes several weeks or longer to stabilize as the soft tissues accommodate to the implants.  

The other thing that changes over time, however, is the patient's perception of her breast size.  Just like anything in life, most patients "get used to" the new breast size and the breasts therefore "seem" smaller over time.  You should be aware of this quirk of normal human behavior so that you can better understand your perceptions of your breast size over the next several months.    In addition, I firmly believe that "bigger is not always better."  Good luck!

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and breast augmentation result

+1

It's great that your swelling went down so quickly and that the implants are soft.  However, you still to give it more time before you can assess the final result.   Take some time to adapt to the change before deciding whether the size is right for you.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Swelling and Size after Breast Augmentation

+1

While you undoubtably have some swelling at just one week after surgery, I would not expect a significant decrease in size as the remaining swelling goes away over the next month. What really happens as the swelling goes down is that the breast tissues relax and settle more than they go down in size. Whether this is your desired size and you like the way they look will require a matter of time and adjustment. How you feel at week about your new breasts can change at one month. This is why one should wait until three months before determining whether their implants are big enough. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast Final Size after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Congratulations on your recent breast augmentation surgery.

The fact that your breasts are softer to suggest that your swelling has resolved to some degree. However, I would suggest more patience  before evaluating your “permanent size and/or shape".  I ask my patients  to wait at least 3 to 6 months before making a judgment about the breast augmentation results.

You will find that your breasts will contain to change during the next few months.

Breast implant recovery can be quick

+1

We feel that for most one week of recovery is typical before the breast is soft and comfortable and individuals return to work and activities. Swelling is modest, and tightness and firmness are related to the implant size relative the the breast skin envelope. My guess is you should stay the same.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com