Brazillian Butt Lift/ Fat Transfer.....down the Line? (photo)

When choosing between implants or body fat transfer... Fat transfer seems the best route.. & the most 'natural' a cosmetic procedure can get! After talking with a friend she said that possibly 5..10 years down the line that fat transfer is going to give you a "cottage cheese" butt.. a butt with tons of cellulite... this is the only thing standing between me & the procedure so I want to know.. what does fat transfer behind look like years down the road? Thanks for your time!

Fat transfer to buttocks does not turn into cellulite.

+2

I am a firm believer that fat transfer is the way to go with buttock shaping and augmentation. Not only, are we able to shape and completely re-balance the body silhouette at the same time, but the fat is natural feeling and does not cause problems with visibility and unnatural hardness as you age. On the other hand, if you lose a lot of weight and your surgeon placed excessive amounts, then you could have some sagging skin down the line, but NOT cellulite.

Cellulite is different and relates to the fat pockets immediately under the skin. The amount of cellulite you have will depend on genetics and can occur in most patients as they age regardless of whether a fat transfer was done or not. In fact, one of my treatments for cellulite is to transfer fat superficially (closer to the skin surface).

So we are dealing with completely different fat compartments, Cellulite location is different (in general) then the locations fat is placed. The below video from the Doctors TV show shows the details of the procedure if you are not squeamish. 

Long term results for BBL

+2

Thanks for your question.  I agree that fat transfers are the best and safest way for gluteal augmentation.  I have some 5 year post-op patients and although they may have lost some volume, their fat did not turn into cellulite.  Fat transfers do not turn into cellulite.  The transferred fat usually becomes re-vascularized and becomes just like the sorrounding tissue.  Cellulite is a more complex problem involving skin texture and other factors like genetic predisposition.  It is also very superficial, and most fat grafts are placed deeper.  Good luck and take care.

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift long term results

+1

I think implants and fat transfer to the butt are both great procedures.   If you have the extra fat to give, I would recommend fat transfer.  Long term if you maintain your current weight, you should not be more likely to develop cellulite because of the procedure.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift Longevity, Lumpy Butt

+1

The fat injected into the buttocks may cause lumpiness is too much fat is injected into one area or too superficially.

There has been success when treating deep dimples from cellulite with fat grafting to the buttocks.  This can be accomplished as part of the Brazilian Butt Lift.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Brazilian Butt Lift Concern

+1

I've been doing fat grafting for multiple sites of the body for many different reasons since 1994. Having followed these patients for several years never have I seen the graft sites look worse as a result of grafting. To the contrary, those sites would have appeared a lot worse if the grafting hadn't been done. I've seen my patients 7-10 years after their procedure and their grafts never converted to "cottage cheese". 

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Brazilian Butt lift does not cause cellulite

+1

The Brazilian Butt lift is an excellent procedure to reshape the buttock.  It is unlikely that this procedure will cause cellulite, because that is a totally different process.  Cellulite is more of a genetic problem with the way people deposit fat fibrous tissue.

Dennis Dass, MD

Dimpling Improved with Brazilian Buttlift

+1

The dimpling of the buttock is frequently improved with the fat transfer, at least in my experience.  The fat transfer produces stable results that are best maintained with stable weight.  In addition, the liposuction performed is a powerful tool to sculpt the buttock thigh interface and the back buttock interface as well as create a much tighter waist and torso.  The transformations are dramatic.

Buttock fat grafting and cellulite

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Fat grafting is a superior method of shaping and augmenting the buttocks.  In general, if you have any fat excess, fat grafting to the buttocks should be the procedure of choice.  In general, fat grafting will not cause cellulite if weight and health status is maintained.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD