Losing Weight Before Getting a Brazilian Butt Lift?

I am currently in the process of losing some weight. I have significant weight in my stomach, lower back, and upper thigh area. How much weight should I take off and still have enough to use for a Brazilian Butt Lift to get the ultimate J-Lo booty effect?

Do NOT lose weight if you want to get buttock augmentation with fat grafting

+3

If you want to get buttock augmentation with fat grafting then you should definitely do not lose any weight. Even if you are heavy, I can liposuction all you excess fat. but it is better to have too much fat, rathter than too little if you want to use it for fat injection to your buttock.

Enough fat as a source for Brazilian Butt Lift

+3

This is one of the very few times where weight loss before surgery might not be the best course of action. Of course Every case should be analyzed individualy. If you have a high BMI (30 or above), it is wise to lose some of that weight. On the other hand ,you need some fat to be able to us it for infiltration. As a rule of thumb ,one third of the lipoaspirate is used for fat grafting. The remaining two thirds are lost in the filtration process.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Brazilian butt lift candidates are no more than 10% above ideal body weight.

+2

You should be no more than 10% above your ideal body weight.  Future weight loss after surgery will effect your results. 

Should you lose weight BEFORE a Brazilian Butt Lift?

+2

Hi there-

Provided you are a good overall candidate for surgery- meaning that your excess weight is not going to increase the risks to your health, the more fat available, the better!

As long as the above is true, I would defer further weight loss until after the procedure. The redistribution will give you the shape you desire, which should be maintained with weight loss afterwords.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Best Weight for a Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

The best Weight for a Brazilian Butt lift, BBL, is a stable weight rather than a specific number. As long as your weight is stable, which I would define as plus or minus five pounds from your current weight over the past few years, you would be a reasonable candidate for a Brazilian Butt lift fat transfer procedure

Most patients don't realize that only about 20-25% of fat removed is suitable for fat transfer. Also, not all of the fat that is transferred not all survives. Realistic expectations are important for best out come and satisfied patients. For some patients, more than one fat transfer procedure is required to obtain the size they want because injecting too much fat at one time has diminishing returns as less fat survives than if less is injected. In other patients, inadequate fat from other areas may limit the buttock enhancement size.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Losing weight before brazilian butt lift

+1

This is a great question, because most surgeons do not want you to lose weight before this type of surgery.  However, the answer depends on your weight, frame, and BMI.  The most prudent answer is:  make sure you are at a healthy weight (and one that you are sure you can maintain) before you undergo any type of surgery, this will help minimize your risk of complications.

Dennis Dass, MD

Nothing is ez

+1

Sheila,

Nothing about your question is ez.  Without examining you, it is impossible to give you a good answer.  Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will provide you with a better idea about what your weight loss goals should be.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD