What Happens if my Weight Fluctuates After Brazilian Butt Lift?

I'm thinking about getting a Brazilian Butt Lift, but hear stories like it will flatten out if you sit too much; or if you lose weight, you'll lose what they just injected; or if you gain weight, it'll double in size. I'm a little concerned, but still am interested in the procedure. Any opinions?

Effects of Weight Change on Brazilian Butt Lift

+4

Hi there-

In a Brazilian Butt Lift, fat is re-distributed from areas it is in excess, to the buttocks, in order to achieve a more pleasing contour in the silhouette as a whole, and an augmentation of the buttocks.

Because it takes time for the new fat in the buttocks to develop a blood supply, it is important to not sit on it for the first month... After that point, sitting will not have an adverse effect on your outcome.

Because the idea behind the operation is to re-shape the body by re-distributing fat, and because this operation is very successful at doing this, changes in your weight usually will NOT significantly change the new relationships established at surgery. In other words, once we achieve the butt-to-body ratio you want, this relationship should stay constant whether you gain or lose weight. There is no reason to believe that if you gain weight it would disproportionally occur in your butt (or in any other place), or that if you lose weight the buttock volume would completely go away in isolation.

I hope that helps!

What Happens to Transferred Butt Fat if My Weight Changes?

+1

In general  it is best to be at your stable long term weight to reduce the probability for revision surgery. It makes little or no sense to loose or gain weight for a surgical procedure including Brazilian Butt Lift unless you can maintain that weight for many years.

The reason for this is that the fat cells tend to remember it origin and behave that way. In other words when you lose weight you will also shrink the size of the fat cells transferred to your buttocks and conversely when you gain weight you will gain it also in the area it was trasferred to.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Minimal Shape Change with Weight Change after Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

Following fat transfer to the buttock area as is done in a Brazilian Butt Lift, I would not anticipate significant changes in shape with mild weight changes.

When we gain weight as fat, our body stores the extra weight within all of our body’s fat cells and these cells become larger. Losing weight causes our fat cells to release energy and decrease in size. This process is a continual biological process for energy management and storage (rather than the creation of new fat cells with weight gain).

Since all of the body’s fat cells are responding simultaneously with weight changes, small weight fluctuations do not usually cause contour problems. Large weight changes potentially could cause contour problems in areas of liposuction and fat transfer (say gaining or losing more than 10% of your body weight).

Hope this helps.

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Weight changes after Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

You should see the results immediately unless there is a lot of swelling. But the swelling will decrease within 3 weeks and you should start seeing the results. As the swelling decrease the results become more and more pronounced.