Do Bras Delay Breasts Sagging?

I have small B sized breasts so have not found it always necessary to wear a bra for social or comfort reasons. At 30 I just started seeing they are not positioned as high as they were before, I I know they will still naturally sag over time but as wearing bras help at all?

Yes

+1

Every woman's breast is going to sag at some point.  The rate of sagging is related to several factors.

Things such as thickness of your skin, stretching of your skin from pregnancy or weight gain, the size of your breasts, your activities such as running that moves your breast excessively can all contribute to

sagging of your breasts.  Bras can slow the process, not stop it. Gravity always wins.

Bras may help with breast sagging.

+1

The answer would be, partially.  Some uncontrolled studies show a benefit to wearing a bra but they don't contain enough patients to draw any valid conclusions.  Breasts sag from a number of factors, such as weight and loss of skin tone and elasticity as well as gravity.  I don't think you could reliably count on no sagging if you wore a bra constantly as everyone ages with predictable effects.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Bras to avoid breast sagging

+1

As far as I know there has been no clinical study that proves or disproves the effect of wearing a bra vs. not wearing one on the sagging of the breast. If using common sense the answer would be yes since it supports the breasts and avoid the reduces the forces of gravity.

Hope that makes sense! 

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Do bras prevent breast ptosis

+1

I do believe that bras do help decrease breast ptosis.  That said, there are multiple other factors that come into play such as weight changes, skin tone and breast size.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Bras and breast sagging

+1

Wearing good bra support is particularly helpful if you are involved in impact activities, running, horseback riding etc.  It is probably not significant if you don't for certain social occasions.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Bras and sagging

+1

Bras may help prevent some sagging, but in general sagging occurs with weight fluctuations and loss of skin tone.

Wearing a bra might help prevent breasts sagging

+1

It would of course be impossible to do a big enough study to answer your question, but there are some cases comparing identical twins where one wore a bra routinely and th other chose not to. Over time the twin who didn't wear the bra had more sagging, but there are only a few cases like this to go on.

Richard Baxter, MD