What Brands of Hygiene Products That Work Best on Veneers?

What kind of maintenance is required to keep veneers clean and looking great? Does this include more frequent cleanings at the dentist's office?

Up keep for porcelain veneers

+1

There is no "special" up keep to porcelain veneers.  We suggest that you continue to see your dental hygienist as often as diagnosed.  I have always told my patients to be careful what they bite in to.  I would advise to cut apples in to bite size pieces, Not to bite into ribs.  Just like our natural teeth they can break.  Your veneers will not  stain  so enjoy your glass of red wine, iced or hot teas! and dont forget to brush and floss!!!!!

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Homecare Of Porcelain Veneers

+1

Making the decision to get porcelain veneers is many times life changing and a significant investment.  In order to ensure that they have the longevity that they should you should have great hygiene.  You should have your teeth professionally cleaned 2-4 times a year, depending on your periodontal health and propensity to build up plaque.  All over the counter toothpastes are fine to use with the exception of the whitening toothpastes.  These are sometimes slightly on the abrasive side, which could take the shine off of your veneers.  I would recommend using an ultrasonic toothbrush as these have been shown to remove plaque better.  Finally, remember to floss daily for good gum health.  

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Products to clean veneers

+1

It simply does not matter what you use to clean veneers as long as the toothpaste has fluoride in it.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Use only the most gentle products on porcelain or composite veneers

+1

Dental materials are more suseptible to scratching and etching than your natural enamel is.  It is important to use a very low abrasive product to clean your teeth.  Some mouth rinses work just as good as toothpaste and with much less risk for scratching or removing the "shine".  There are some newer tooth "foams" that are very good as well and have conditioners in them to help your gums stay healthy as well.

Keep up with any recall that your dentist recommends.  Also, keep in mind that acidic foods and drinks (like gatorade, sodas, and many other sports drinks and juices) can irreversibly damage not only the surface of veneers, but also your natural teeth.

Best Regards

Christian Yaste, DDS
Charlotte Cosmetic Dentist

Cleaning Veneers

+1

When you ask about cleaning veneers, I assume you are referring to Porcelain Veneers.  Most commercially available dental hygiene products are safe for use on porcelain veneers.  These products are also generally safe for use on Composite or Plastic Veneers, but I would suggest a product which is low in abrasive.  Unlike porcelain veneers, the plastic veneers will tend to absorb more stain and loose their shine over time.  This is especially so when the surface is repeatedly scratched by abrasive dental cleansers.

If your home care is up to par, then seeing your hygienist every six months should be adequate.  The only reason for more frequent visits is when a problem of gum disease requires the hygienist's attention more often.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Cleaning for veneers

+1

The best way to enjoy veneers for a,long time is to carfully care for them.  Use a soft toothbrush or soft electric toothbrush, making sure to use regular toothpaste, not a whitening formula.  These can be abrasive and remove the glaze from your veneers.  One great brand is ClosysII, but any regular toothpaste will work well. As far as hygiene visits, we recommend that any patient investing in their smile with veneers or several crowns should also invest in their hygiene program, and that includes dental visits every 3 months.

Andrea Stevens, DMD
Ottawa Cosmetic Dentist

Maintenance for veneers

+1

After getting veneers your routine should not have to change. You should visit the dentist a minimum of 2 times a year to have your teeth and gums cleaned. If prior to the veneers you were seeing them 3 or 4 times tha should not change. Clean them at home as if they were regular teeth

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist