Bleeding from Incision After Drains Were Removed and Drain Site Closes? (photo)

Hi: I am two weeks post op a full tummy tuck procedure, my two drains were removed one week and site closed post op. After several days’ later separation began along my pelvic area releasing clear fluids. The next day a small section of my incision starts to bleed. There is no redness, fever or irritation and I am wonder if this is something that could be out the norm but consider normal after the drains have been remove. If so how long should it last before I become alarm & call the surgeon back?

Bleeding after a tummy tuck

+1

Some leakage is normal after drain removal.  However, if you're at all concerned I would recommend calling your plastic surgeon to take a look.

Post op tummy tuck concerns

+1

should be addressed by your surgeon.  I hope you have already seen him/her and received instructions on how to proceed from here. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Bleeding 2 weeks post-op after surgery requires evaluation

+1

While it may not be serious, the only way to know for sure is to have your surgeon evaluate this.  You should be seen tomorrow or the next day at the latest.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Bleeding from Incision After Drains Were Removed and Drain Site Closes?

+1

Why wait??? call your surgeon NOW! to be seen and treated for this issue. Posting here on the internet can only delay you seeing the surgeon in person. 

Bleeding and swelling with drain removal

+1

I recommend that you see your plastic surgeon in person for a  full evaluation.  It looks like you could have developed a seroma (fluid collection) under your wound that can lead to infection or further wound separation if it is not addressed.  Unfortunately the photos indicate that you have already developed some redness in the area that should be assessed. Good luck! 

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

+1

This may or may not be a sign of impending wound problems, and really an in person exam in needed to evaluate. Call your surgeon so that this can be properly evaluated. Thanks for your question. 

Drainage and bleeding from incision following an abdominoplasty

+1

Some drainage and bleeding can be expected following any surgery.  You should not hesitate or delay in seeking advice from your plastic surgeon as he is in the best position to understand your surgery and to rule out any problem.