Which Brand Implants? (photo)

I have a choice between Mentor, Allergan Naturelle, and the new Sientra implants. I'm so confused on which one to use. I've been to 3 different Drs and all three have said different size silicone implants. The 1st said 457cc the 2nd said 325cc and the 3rd said 425cc. I'm terrified of either going too big or too small and end up hating them in the end. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you!

Implant brand

+1
All implants implants currently available or about the same, despite what the manufacturers say. As the cost of the implants is passed onto the patient, the brand that costs the plastic surgeon less might be best. I do not like high profile implants. They tend to look go initially, but with time tend to look very round and globular and a ridge is often palpable around the base of the implant.

Implant choices

+1

In general, the implants made by these companies are very similar. As for volume, you can help by doing a baggy test and with these numbers in mined see what you like.

No real difference

+1

You personally would not be able to tell whether a mentor, Allergan or sientra implant is placed. Sizes are virtually the same in each company so the difference depends on what the plastic surgeon is recommending. First settle on what profile you would like and then how many cc's. After that, you should try on implants to gauge what they look like on your body. This is, in my opinion, the best way to figure out how you would look. 

Patrick Hsu, MD, FACS

Implant types and sizing

+1

I would not focus on the brand of the implant but more on appropriate sizing based on your frame and the final size you desire.  It may be helpful to visit a surgeon that has the Vectra 3D system to better show you what you look like with different size implants. I find this to be much more helpful then trying on sizing implants on top of your breast.  

Charles R. Nathan, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Which Brand Implants?

+1

I don't think there is any quality dofference between implant manufacturers, just surgeon preference. Find a surgeon you are comfortable with who has experience in the procedure and trust his judgement.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Which Brand of Implants? #breastimplants

+1

All of the devices you ask about are FDA approved and that is the first important thing. You can have an excellent result with any of them and I have used them all. I think the implant is mostly surgeon preference and you can expect to not have much difference between any of the devices used. What is more important is that you and your surgeon clearly discuss your goals and expectations and that you feel your surgeon will be able to deliver the results you are looking fore. Go with the surgeon whom you feel the most comfortable with and that you feel knows what you want.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Choosing the Right Breast Implant

+1

I will try to answer this question from two perspectives: 1. What size implant is best for me 2. What type of implant should I choose.

There is no specific chart that displays exactly what size implant should be used. The surgeon must make a determination based on the cup size the patient desires and the body size of the patient.  Generally I would offer the below listed suggestions:

• Small statured woman (<5'3") with a A cup requesting  a C cup.  Implant range suggestion:  280cc to 380cc
  • Medium statured woman (>5'3") with A cup requesting a C+ cup size. Implant range suggestion:  380cc to 480cc 

Implant Type:  I personally think that the Saline Filled Implant and the Standard Gel Filled implants will be obsolete withing the next 2 years.  The benifites of the Sientra Implant are so pronounced that this has become my implant of choice because of the below listed reasons:

• Less chance of extrusion of gel if rupture does occur
  • Similar natural feel
  • Multiple shapes and sizes offered
  • Cost/nearly the same as standard gel filled implant.
  • Some studies suggest that there may be less of a chance of scarring around the Sientra Impant

A link to a video of Implant Types is attached below. Good Luck 

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implant brand

+1

Thanks for your question and picture.  All implant brands are relatively similar in the final product.  The only difference is with the Allergan 410 implant and Sientra implants that are teardrop shaped.  If you are using round gel implants, there is minimal difference between companies.  If you are confused about size, make sure you see your plastic surgeon again and discuss your concerns.  Trying on implants can be very helpful.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD

Which Brand Implants?

+1

The brand does not matter, and you should take an active role in choosing the size.  Try sizers on in the office, and then let the plastic surgeon determine if that volume will fit your dimensions and with what profile of implant.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How to choose the right implant brand and size

+1

Thank you for your question Mrs. T. Choosing the right type and size implant should start with a conversation with your plastic surgeon about your desired outcome.  In my practice we use measurements, patient's desired goal and surgeon's experience to help guide the decision.  I have found that having patients try on a range of implant sizes that I feel will accomplish our desired outcome is helpful.  You also need to find a plastic surgeon that you feel comfortable with and will give you the needed information and guidance to make an informed decision.  As for implant brand, I do not feel there is an appreciable difference between them.   You should go back in and discuss these concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Eric Minns, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon