Swelling 3 Months After Mini Tummy Tuck?

I had a mini tummy tuck June 26th and the day of surgery I was ecstatic about how flat my stomach was, the next morning I got up to take a shower and drain my jp tube and noticed the swelling. I didn't think much about it because I was only one day post OP. My jp tube was grossing me out so my PS took it out 3 days later. I now weigh 5 lbs more than I did pre op and I still have swelling. Should I be concerned?

MIni Tummy Tuck Swelling 3 months Postop

+1

Based on your description, you may have something called a seroma. This is a collection of inflammatory or lymph fluid that can accumulate in a wound after large incisional surgeries, such as a mini tummy tuck. It's best to follow up with your plastic surgeon to verify that this or something else is causing the swelling. 

Thanks for your question. Best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Swelling 3 Months After Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

It is really hard to give any useful advice without at least a photo to look at! Even that pales in value compared to an actual exam by your surgeon, and my advice is to see the surgeon.

I think it is reasonable to expect that if this looked so good at day 1, that you should expect a nice outcome. One possibility is a fluid collection, and your surgeon can figure that out in the office. But as far as the weight gain, it would take a huge amount of fluid to account for that--about 10 cups worth.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.