Does Brachioplasty Help with Skin Overhang/Wrinkling of Elbows?

When my arm is fully extended my upper arm sags into my elbow, making it look very old and wrinkly. I'm 38, but I feel like when my arm hangs down it looks I don't know at least 50s to 60s. My oldest sister is about 8.5 years older than me and even she doesn't look like this, she's much fuller than I am, I'm very thin so maybe why is so much worse on me. I'm one those people that just doesn't gain weight or hold fat well. I really am embarrassed to try dress up like this in sleeveless top.

Arm Lift and Elbow Improvement

+2

The elbows are a little tricky.  For any elbow improvemebt the incision needs to be caried well beyond the crease and into the forearm.  So there is a trade off here.  Scar for Improvement.  The area about the elbow cannot be made too tight because function will be sacrificed and recovery lengthened.  Remember elbows need some extra skin to function normalyl and full range.  A little improvement is possible.  The results are not impressive for elbows.  Have limited expectations and look at photos.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty helps define arms and contour elbows

+2

The problem most people are afraid of is the scar, which extends from the armpit to below the elbow in most cases. The quality can be improved by using support sleeves and tape for 6 weeks post op. The massive weight loss patient is most commonly treated this way. However, loose skin only may be improved by a mini-brachioplasty in which the skin is raised up and  after excision of the excess stitched up in the armpit, avoiding the long stocking-seam incision. This option may be for you.

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Armlifting and elbows

+1

Yes,  arm lifting can be useful in treating excess skin/articles tissue around the elbows.

The downside are the scars the scars associated with this procedure- they may spread  or experience pigment change. Scar revision surgery is often necessary/helpful.  Planning of the excision is critical- the resulting scar should be as hidden as possible. Personally, I think this scar is least visible when it ends up on the inferior (bottom) of the arm as opposed to the bicipital groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles).

Only you can determine if the improvement of the contour of the arms is worth the trade-off of the scar  In your case.  This is best done with the help of a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

How to address lax skin at elbow

+1

It is definitely possible to address the excess and hanging skin at your elbow. The exact procedure including incisions would depend on the specific deformity. Without photos and a more explicit history and description of your deformity, specific recommendations would only be conjecture.

If you want to pursue this, see a few board certified plastic surgeons in your area for evaluations and recommendations.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Brachioplasty

+1

There are a lot of details that you did not give.  Have you lost a lot of weight, have you had any procedures on your arms, to name a few. But if the skinis very loose you  may be a candidate for a brachioplasty or arm lift.

Brachioplasty can help with sagging wrinkled skin on arms...

+1

Brachioplasty is a procedure where an incision is usually made under the arm down to the elbow on the inner part of the arm for the removal of excess skin.  Many patients need this procedure after major weight loss so they are more comfortable with their appearance.  By removing the excess skin it helps with any sagging or wrinkling a patient may have above the elbow.  The incision usually heals nicely and patients are usually happy with the tradeoff of the thin incision compared to the saggy skin.  You should check with your doctor to see if you are a candidate for this procedure.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Yes it will help

+1
Brachioplasty removes hanging skin and typically involves a long scar down toward the elbow trying to keep the scar as short as possible. It may be necessary however to extend the scar longer around the elbow to maximally improve the contour there.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

+1

The answer is yes; however, the incision may have to be extended past your elbow, this may also result in prolonged swelling of the hands.  The results should be good.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Elbow excess skin

+1

Elbows are an area that is difficult to treat because the the excess movement of it. I have treated this area with removal of the excess skin but the healing may be prolonged but the results to my patients have been satisfying.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty (arm lift) and the elbows

+1

Different individuals have different presentations of excess of skin of the arm after weight loss or aging. If the excess is past the elbow then I use an extensive Brachioplasty and take my skin removal past the elbows into the forearm area. I also use liposuction to loosen skin and remove the unwanted fat of those areas. Taking the scar past the elbow can be tricky and must be done with care so the scar does not get in the way of elbow motion.

Sepehr Egrari, MD