Which Should I Do First, Braces or Veneers?

I feel like my two front teeth need to be smaller. The orthodontist said she would be pushing them back up into the gums so they wouldn't look so large after my braces came off. But I still feel that they will be too large. I'm also interested veneers to treat stains which make the color of my teeth uneven, as well as small ridges. Should I get my braces on first or address the fact that I want my front teeth to be sized down and smoother? Would it be better to get the veneers after the braces?

Braces before veneers

+1

The teeth should be aligned first before placing your veneers. Aligning the teeth first will minimize the amount of tooth structure removed before placing the veneers.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Braces first or Veneers first?

+1

The ideal treatment is to do braces/Invisalign in phase I to get your teeth positioned so that I can be the most conservative with my porcelain. Then move to phase II - porcelain veneers.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Braces before veneers

+1

If teeth are misaligned,or too far erupted then it is best to move them into proper arch form before veneers are done. This will result in less tooth structure being removed when veneers are prepared.

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Generally, braces before Veneers is best

+1

The advantage of braces before veneers is the position and angulation of the teeth can be corrected and idealized. Be sure to let the orthodontist know that you plan on veneers at the end, as that may change some approaches to treatment.

Well placed teeth allow the veneers to be as conservative as possible. The veneers will correct the color and shape of the teeth.

If your teeth are mostly well positioned, then the braces would be completely unnecessary. Minor imperfections can be corrected with porcelain veneers, which is why porcelain veneers are sometimes called "Instant Orthodontics".

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist