Can Braces Shift Your Teeth Back After Not Wearing Them for a Year?

I had braces when I was 14, now I'm 28. I've worn my retainer off and on at night. I haven't worn my retainer in a year. I'm starting to wear my retainer again as my teeth have slightly shifted. Will my teeth go back to the normal position (after braces)? My teeth are sore when I take my retainer out each morning so that must be a good sign!!! Thank you

Maybe

+2

The retainer likely will move the teeth.  How much?  Hard to say.  They MAY go back to the desired position, but might not.  The retainer CAN distort, so that would limit how effective it can be.

After so much time, the shift that has occurred may be fairly minimal.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist