Braces Might Be Required for an Implant; True?

I recently had a broken molar extracted. The orthodontist originally thought she could bring the back molar forward to close the gap, but after an examiniation, thinks the gap may be too large. Discussing options, she said braces may be required to prepare teeth for an implant. I've known people who have had implants and never had braces for that. I had braces when I was a teenager (I'm now 46) and she said my bite was fine, my teeth are perfectly on-center...please comment?

Sometimes the roots need to be moved in order to have an implant placed

+2

Pre-implant orthodontic treatment is becoming increasingly common.

Unfortunately, when there is a gap due to a missing tooth for a prolonged period of time, the crowns of the teeth tend to tip in towards the space.  Therefore, they may need to be moved back into their original positions to allow for the proper placement of an implant.

It is also possible that the roots of the teeth somehow occupy the space under the gums and in the bone where the implant would normally be placed.

Toronto Orthodontist

Your Teeth are like Icebergs. There is Much below the Surface.

+1

There are a few different reasons why you might need braces to prepare the space for an implant:

• To align your tooth roots and provide enough space for the implant fixture in your bone.

• The tooth in the back may need to be quickly straightened up to help your dentist make a nicer looking implant crown (Good shape, size, and contact with the other teeth)

Really whether or not you should have braces is a question for the person doing the implant. They know if they need the other teeth moved or if you are ready for the implant now.

Scott Frey, DDS
Allentown Orthodontist